Flemish Giant Color Question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schipperkesue

Reaction score
I will preface this by saying I obtained my FGs from a lady who does not show or provide pedigrees. However, she only raises FGs and I am fairly sure another breed has not squeezed in there somewhere.

So...how did I get this color?

I bred a sandy to a fawn. I got sandys, fawns and rews. Then I bred fawn daughters back to their fawn father and there in the nest box I see fawns, rews, and tortoiseshells! Torte is not a recognised FG color. I have heard FG breeders do not cross their colours. Is this why?

I believe sandy is the equivalent of chestnut in other breeds so fawn is a sandy with nonextension. A tort is a self version of that so like a black with nonextension. Both your rabbits carry self from some cross to not agouti colors. Nonextension is often a source of unrecognized colors in various rabbit breeds when colors are crossed. I'm breeding ermine/frosty which are chinchilla colors with nonextension and not recognized in any breed.

:yeahthat:
Fawn and tort are almost the same colour but one is agouti based and the other self based so I am not surprised you got some torts and this is why it is not recommended to breed agouti to self in most breeds or fawn/orange/red to any other colour

Aha! Thank you! I am secretly pleased. Now, if I bred one of these Tortes to my sallander doe I may be blessed with more sallander kits?

Indeed :)

There is a 66% chance the torts carry REW so if they do then when crossed to a sallander you could get 50% sallander kits (as long as your sallander doesn't carry a shaded, himi or REW gene as well as chin/dark shaded)

Woo hoo! Stay tuned in about 7-9 months!

Sallander x Sallander...what other colors and patterns should I expect from this combination? <br /><br /> __________ Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:39 am __________ <br /><br /> Oh! And if I bred a son of the fawn x sandy to the sallander doe...I could get sallander too I bet! In that case, stay tuned in a month!

Dood, which colour Tort would you use (light or dark - I think that would be black & blue isn't it?) and would it be possible to produce sallander kits with the doe?

Just another project I'd like to work on as I would like to eventually have only two does and 1 buck to produce Sallander kits.

Picture 042.jpg

She carries chin so if she also carries self and non extension then yes she could produce sallander

Breeding sallander to sallander can produce chocolate, blue or lilac sallander and sable point, himilayan or REW if both parents carry the appropriate recessives

I'm not sure is she carries 'self' or 'non extension'?
Her father is 'Apollo' - black chinchilla I think you mentioned it in my british giant post.
Her mother is a black agouti/chestnut also mentioned in my british giant post (also includes a picture of her).

Latest posts

Back