Fleece overload! And other handspinning fun. *videos added*

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiogoatgirl

Reaction score
Today someone is mailing me out 9 adult sheep fleeces, basically her whole herd. I had dibs on most of them when she had posted when she would be gettin em sheared. Then as time got close most people forgot or "darn I cant now" and backed out. So she gave me a deal on the whole lot of em. I got two fleece worth from her last year for free because late shearing and not so good shearer plus she didnt want to mess with having to dig into her compost pile to bury em so the dog, who was enamored with the fleece, wouldn't be able to dig it up like it had the year before and "decorated" the yard with it.

So today I send her the money and shouldn't be but a few days before I get a nice big box packed full! I haven't ever had so much raw fleece at one time. I am so excited! Last year I did most of the fleece in a FSM cleaning. Fermented Suint Method. It wasn't any awesome wool and it was plenty dirty so pretty good for testing that sort of wash. Basically the sheep is naturally designed to keep it's wool pretty clean while it's on the sheep. The lanolin (ie grease) helps the rain shed off the sheep. And the sheep's sweat supposedly helps dissolve away dirt that gets into the fleece near the skin. So the FSM is taking these properties and bumpin it up and using it to clean sheared fleeces. The greasy sweaty fleece, plenty of water to cover, and a nice big tub or barrel etc, an old bit of fabric to cover, and time.
The natural stuff there helps clean away the stuff from the wool. It's like a wool sauerkraut washing! Hahaha! It smells like heavy not done compost but once ya rinse it out and then give it a quick soap wash it's really nice. A lot less work than all the handwashing.

Anyhow. I am uber super duper excited and contemplating sending it to be milled. At least the majority of it. The FSM worked great for me but this fleeces will be nicer and I really am getting over the doing every little step myself. It's long process and I want to spin! Haha. I still have to pick out the nasty bits and sort it and pick out hay and the "stuff" from it all before I send it to the mill anyhow.

* 2 black ram fleeces
* 2 black ewe fleeces
* 4 white ewe fleeces
* 1 white ewe cheviot fleece (all others are babydoll southdown breed)

I haven't spun cheviot before that I know of so that'll be interesting. If I send it to the mill I will probably send it in the groups like that, separate bags for different processing into batts or rovings. I have to double check with the Spinners Guild people who send fiber in and find out specifics though. If there is certain minimums etc I will at least do the black and white separate and leave out the cheviot to do myself by hand. I also have other raw wool here and will have several fleeces and fibers to pick from at the next guild meeting (Dye Day! Squeee!) so plenty to think about and sort it and decide what I want.

If I can get darn photobucket to cooperate I will try adding pics of my stuff here.

__________ Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:20 am __________

Drop spindle. Natural color alpaca fiber. yummy chocolately goodness!

Icelandic sheep wool. all dyed with vinegar and food coloring. spun on my spinning wheel.

unknown wool. Dyed at the guilds dye day meeting. this was spin on my first "wheel". lol it was a "for looks" thing but I rigged it to work for a long while!

a few years ago. the wool I washed and dyed at the guild dye day meeting. back home and out in the sun drying.

__________ Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:52 am __________

unknown wool. drop spindle spun. knitted into a scarf. I did all but feed the sheep and shear it!

Me! at the festival several years ago. now that I am back I will be a paying member of the guild again and be able to be in the festival again :) And so everyone knows this is my favorite outfit and I wear it a lot! haha I have fabric for another set and a dress that I need someone to make for me. lol.

ignore the old messy room background! haha. but this is my old wheel that I had rigged up to spin on.

Congratulations on your wealth of wool!

I raise Shetlands and I have my wool processed locally. I have not started to spin yet but have a drop spindle. Just another thing to find time for!

Thanks guys. I only have one half decent video up so far for any spinning.. and honestly I had my bf hold the phone to record it and he wouldn't record at all where I wanted him to.... :? :| :angry: :chair:
but for what it is.. me using the drop spindle. I am hoping now I have my nice new camera and tripod I can do some good ones!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwxzO2BtyKQ[/youtube]

((( and drumroll to see if the link will go through for the video correctly! )))

this is my most recently finished yarn. I got the roving (prepared fiber) at Maryland Sheep & Wool Festival this year. that was a ball! :D
unknown breed wool. drop spindle spun. 189yds. 3ply/Navajo plied. ~worsted weight.

Wow! What a treasure!
I love that natural brown ~ dyeing a nice brown is so tough!
I'm envious~ I am a dyer but not a spinner, and I've always wanted to get my hands on some nice locks like you have pictured to play witH!

Hee hee oh wait until I find the box with my mohair locks in it! I dyed em a few years ago at the dye day and haven't got up the courage to spin em into anything yet. they are in 3 colors I think. mohair from the angora goats i'd had.

That is awsome!

Schipperkesue":lks5y7v9 said:
I raise Shetlands and I have my wool processed locally. I have not started to spin yet but have a drop spindle. Just another thing to find time for!

My first thought when I read this was "She spins her ponies hair?" My second thought was "Well, they are woolly enough..." Then it finally dawned on me that you were talking about Shetland Sheep :oops: :oops: :oops:

hehe I have spun Alaskan Malamute dog fur. knew someone with 3 of em and when they started really sheddin in the spring I went over and filled 2 plastic grocery bags full. its a horror to me to spin alone but I blended it with wool and it spun up fine. I still have some in one of the boxes actually. its a pain to blend though.

__________ Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:57 pm __________

first video segment is up. actually these video bits I am workin on are all workin on the green yarn I posted the pic of.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSMFb5weiKo[/youtube]

__________ Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:00 pm __________

part 2

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDCfRMSM_7g[/youtube]

__________ Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:11 pm __________

part 3

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ots4CNnFMMs[/youtube] <br /><br /> __________ Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:38 pm __________ <br /><br /> couple videos I did a while back on spinning and fibers.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1-M47i5rFE[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5G0Wnm_fjc[/youtube]

Thanks Zinnia :)

My fleeces should be coming in the mail sometime this afternoon!!! :wr_power: Think it'll be a big box? :p :roll: :popcorn:

I think it'll be a big box full of (hopefully) lovely fleeces, although if anything the rams fleeces are going to be a bit pongy. Yay for spinning, I should get back to my spinning project :D

Last weekend I had my sheep shorn so this weekend I have 10 lovely raw fleeces to skirt and from which to pick the vegetative matter.

From there I take them to the local woolen mill for cleaning and carding and for a fee I will pick up many pounds of roving.

I will share a great idea with all the fleece lovers here. I purchased some large sized vacuum bags from the dollar store. The kind you put clothes in, suck the air out with a vacuum cleaner and use for storage. I put my clean roving in the vacuum bags and sucked the air out. Well! What a great way to reduce storage space and keep the roving clean and mildew free!

Schipperkesue":2bbdb7qi said:
Last weekend I had my sheep shorn so this weekend I have 10 lovely raw fleeces to skirt and from which to pick the vegetative matter.

From there I take them to the local woolen mill for cleaning and carding and for a fee I will pick up many pounds of roving.

I will share a great idea with all the fleece lovers here. I purchased some large sized vacuum bags from the dollar store. The kind you put clothes in, suck the air out with a vacuum cleaner and use for storage. I put my clean roving in the vacuum bags and sucked the air out. Well! What a great way to reduce storage space and keep the roving clean and mildew free!

I just boxed up my wool to ship out to the mill. Mine are Cormo fleeces and I need them made into combed top.... which means I will need to sell one of my children to afford the bill. :x I will be blending the top with French Angora for scrumdidddlyumptious batts!

it came in. there was a slight confusion between me and the person. turns out she did have several people to buy the white fleeces and I got the black fleeces. oh well. still there is tons of it and better price than I could buy fleeces almost anywhere else. the box is big! its one of those big "24 giant rolls" paper towel roll boxes. it was bulging! she actually had twine around it to keep it together better and for carrying. I gotta get some pics on my camera to post here.

dye day is this weekend with the guild and I am excited! bunch of practically free wool, learn more about dying, and access to good sinks and super hot tap water so I can wash some of the babydoll fleeces while I have wool in the dye pots :) I have been workin on pickin out the VM and second cuts. it wasn't skirted well, if at all. so plenty to do until Saturday.

Back