First time

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ninabl

Reaction score
About a month or so i bought 3 does and a buck. The wife didn't want me to start breeding until we ate one to make sure it is something we could use as a primary meat in our daily diet. 2 years ago if it didn't come from a grocery store we didn't buy it. Times have changed. Last night I butchered 2 chickens and a rabbit. The rabbit was a lot easier to clean. After dinner I asked the wife if I should clean the rest of them or what she wanted to do. She said no and I should leet the 2 remaining does and the buck for breeding. We cooked it In the crock pot with some chicken stock and a pinch of garlic salt on high for about 5 hrs, it was served at her cousins house with garden fresh fried squash, green beans, biskits, and home made jalipino poppers. Everyone was very pleased with the meat except one person. I guess 8 out of the 9 that tried it liked it. I happy.
Let the humping begin!
Nick

Congratulations, Nick! :D

Glad the rabbit went over well, and times have changed for a lot of us! Many people are going back to raising a lot of their own food, and you will find quite a few of them here. :)

Do make sure you have some fat in your diet, because rabbit won't really provide any. And you do need some. Just thought I'd mention that, because you plan to use it as a primary meat in your daily diet. Rabbit is very good for you, but you cannot count on it for fat, like you can most other meats.

Thanks for the input. As for fat we eat a lot of posta and cheap snacks as we are raising a 2 year old boy. The rising meat prices is driving me nuts. Me moved to ky iwith intentions of starting a farm. It looks as the inlaws have had a change of hart and realized what reality it and are planing to sell there home and buy a farm... Sounds like the wife son and I are moving bock to Georgia. Lol. This is also the first year we have had a secessful garden. I have a lot growing and right now I have a edible bell pepper out there and that's more than I could say form the last several years. Thanks everyone for everything

I think it was very smart of your wife to try one first before you started breeding.,,,im having trouble growing bell peppers this year , even in my green house

Back