First time Momma - Surprise

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2 bun-owner

Reaction score
Well Dumbledore had her kits this am. So far there
DOing ok. I'm at work so my husband is relaying the
Messages to me. Lol.
I will check on them and take them out
When I get home. :) update pics later.

Having delved deeply into the world of Harry Potter (it was at its peak when I was teaching 7th- through 12th-graders), it's quite interesting to see a message which starts with

...Dumbledore had her ...

I mean, I know that J.K. Rowling told us several years after the fact that Dumbledore himself was gay, but I don't think that conferred the ability to make babies! :lol:

Ok, just got home found one dead and the other sill alive
But the ears where off it and bleeding so I took care of that one. :(

The other 5 where all over the hay stash when I
Got home so I had to search for them. Found them all
They were all cold and don't think they have been fed .

Momma is a first and don't think she knows. She did
Pull fur , not till after she had the kits though. Did put the kits
In the fur and we will see. All 5 where all still wiggly just
Cold.
Should I take them out and just put the box in twice
So she can feed?
Any help would be appreciated as I'm new as well at kits.

DogCatMom":2w7zhfx8 said:
Having delved deeply into the world of Harry Potter (it was at its peak when I was teaching 7th- through 12th-graders), it's quite interesting to see a message which starts with

...Dumbledore had her ...

I mean, I know that J.K. Rowling told us several years after the fact that Dumbledore himself was gay, but I don't think that conferred the ability to make babies! :lol:

Glad you said that, as I was about to ask what the the name in reference to...

I put the kits in the nest box android it out as 3
Of the kits were dead. I took the nest box out
But put them back in. They were all cold, put
The fur in the box with the kits.

Will mom know to go to the nest box where
I moved them to? And bellies
Aren't round . Know they feed x2 daily but
Tried a kit to nurse and no go. The mommas teat
Wasn't red, swollen, or event felt hard as it might
If there was milk.

If she's a first timer, she could just not have any milk come in. It happens, I kind of just mark the first litter off as a total loss, and if I'm wrong then I'm delighted, but I'm also not disappointed if I'm right then. I'm sorry that you have to deal with it though, that sucks.

Perhaps others on here will have ideas on how to help her milk come in? Maybe pluck the wool off her belly to help? Sometimes that helps, or you could try to feed her dill and/or fennel, or molasses mixed with oats, but typically that's for after their milk comes in to help boost production. Worth a shot.

Her milk may come in by tomorrow. The kits should be okay for a day without eating, providing they are warm. If there are only 2-3, it might be a good idea to give them a heat source. I take a screw cap wine bottle, heat it with hot tap water, dump it out and refill. Then pull a sock over the bottle for protection and lay it along one side of the nest box. This lets the kits gravitate toward or away from it as needed.

I h e been checking and they seem to be somewhat
Warm now as I did put the fur in.

I moved them to the nest box and put he nest
Box back in. Will mom find them as the box isn't where
She had them?

I figured as much. I found one rolling around on the
Hard wood floor that she was eating I think. The ears
Were off it at least and there was blood around the top
Of it's neck.

Well see if she finds them. How long do
I wait for round bellies?<br /><br />__________ Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:36 am __________<br /><br />Well, went to check on the litter at 2:30 am they
Where all fine. Checked at 8:30 am and all five
Where gone. :( I'm just sick!

Sounds like chilling. It was too soon for it to be starve out from not nursing. Sometimes even though they get warmed up, they don't seem to be able to make it all the way back. It's too bad, but don't let it discourage you. A first time doe has to rely on instinct and it does not always kick in right away. She will likely do better next time. If you want more kits (and have plans for them) you can rebreed right away. Right after kindling, does are usually very receptive.

So sorry you lost them.

Maggie has it right (of course). Give her another try, if you want kits.

Aw, sorry about the lost litter. It is always sad when it happens, even knowing that first timers don't always get it right. :(

Do you have more than one doe? It is always a good idea to breed two or more at the same time so if something goes wrong you can foster the kits to another mother.

Better luck next time!

Latest posts

Back