first time doe with nursing issues.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangerbunny

Reaction score
One of my jr Silver Fox does had a litter of 9 on the 8th, made a nice nest and pulled fur, no issues there. But she isn't feeding them, she looks like has plenty of milk, her nipples look red on the tips but no signs of mastitis yet. We've been holding her down so the hungry kits can nurse but their bellies aren't getting very full.
Any suggestions? Usually my SF are great mommas. I can't foster since the other doe with young kits already has a litter of 10.
If she loses the rest of the litter would you cull? I'm like cull all the things but my husband thinks I should give her another chance.

dangerbunny":2fwmjl1y said:
she looks like has plenty of milk
dangerbunny":2fwmjl1y said:
We've been holding her down so the hungry kits can nurse but their bellies aren't getting very full.

I would try taking her out of the cage and getting her to relax on your lap, then slip the kits underneath her. It sounds like she may be too stressed to let her milk down when you "hold her down".

Sometimes a doe's milk doesn't come in right away, and if that is the case with your Jr. SF, the kits may already be weak. If the other doe is feeding her kits well and they look of good weight, you might want to have them miss one feeding and let her nurse the others just to give them a boost.

thanks for the suggestions. I lost half the litter but the remaining kits are doing okay, hopefully she does better with her next litter.

Back