First time doe had TEN KITS last night!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
followed by Doe 2, Terra, having 6 on the wire -_-
no fur pulled, no nesting behavior, I don't think she'll feed them. We did what we could to assist (hot water bottle in with warm water, borrowed fur from Mizz 10 Babies, extra straw, hay and pellets) and now we see what happens by morning. I can't care for kits with my current injuries and I understand life is cruel sometimes so what happens, happens. Kind of a letdown end to the night though.

have one more due tomorrow who has also shown zero nesting behavior so far, who knows what to expect!

I try not to breed first time does to kindle when it'll be cold, but sometimes needs must. I try to pretty well stuff the cage with hay so there is at least that if she does kindle on the wire. But when it's cold that only goes so far as well.

I try not to breed first time does to kindle when it'll be cold, but sometimes needs must. I try to pretty well stuff the cage with hay so there is at least that if she does kindle on the wire. But when it's cold that only goes so far as well.
We’re near Phoenix AZ so “too cold” isn’t something that even tickled the corners of my mind. Even with our recent cold snap the shed they’re in never got below 48! I’m as much a newbie as they are, the new babies are our second and third litters. It’s a sad “live and learn” situation.

Update on wire babies, they’re all still alive. I didn’t check any closer but I did look enough to see that they aren’t fat like they’ve recently been fed so I’m still iffy on their chances.

AND Doe 3, Terra, had very freshly kindled what looks like 10 more kits. I didn’t get too close with her, she was still cleaning up and eating the afterbirths so I didn’t want to intrude too much yet.

Again I say: mercy gracious!

All twenty six kits are alive and well, it's kind of nuts. The day after the kits were born on the wire and we put them with the water bottle, I moved all the kits into different nest boxes (I really hate the wire ones from Bass Equipment which is what they were initially in). What do you know, that seems to be the trigger for their Momma to pull fur and get her brain in gear, and now she's mothering like a champ. But I'm still kind of reeling at what the heck am I going to do with twenty six kits! I'm going to have to build some new cages, no way I can keep all the kits with their moms for very long in the current cages (24 x 36) and I def don't want to wean before 4 weeks if I can help it. All of this is very much complicated by the fact that I fell into our mostly empty pool a week before the births, crushing my hands and breaking one finger per hand. I was supposed to be butchering my first round of kits now (10 weeks as of yesterday) and it's just me in the butcher and most of the care (my husband and adult children have weak constitutions)... I know I have time still and that it will all work out, but it's pretty overwhelming to say the least.

All twenty six kits are alive and well, it's kind of nuts. The day after the kits were born on the wire and we put them with the water bottle, I moved all the kits into different nest boxes (I really hate the wire ones from Bass Equipment which is what they were initially in). What do you know, that seems to be the trigger for their Momma to pull fur and get her brain in gear, and now she's mothering like a champ. But I'm still kind of reeling at what the heck am I going to do with twenty six kits! I'm going to have to build some new cages, no way I can keep all the kits with their moms for very long in the current cages (24 x 36) and I def don't want to wean before 4 weeks if I can help it. All of this is very much complicated by the fact that I fell into our mostly empty pool a week before the births, crushing my hands and breaking one finger per hand. I was supposed to be butchering my first round of kits now (10 weeks as of yesterday) and it's just me in the butcher and most of the care (my husband and adult children have weak constitutions)... I know I have time still and that it will all work out, but it's pretty overwhelming to say the least.
When I bought my silver fox, the breeder told me she usually harvests at 16 weeks. She does not like that yucky job and wants more meat for the effort. Still plenty tender. That has worked well for me. I harvest anywhere from12- 16 weeks. Depending on current needs. (5-8#) sometimes even older. Still delicious! I do use 2 grow out pens but have not had a problem with both young bucks and does together up to 4 months. If one gets feisty, he's the first to go.i do harvest bucks first, then does. The does will grow larger. Maybe those "weak constitutions" could fence in a pen for you. Cardboard boxes can serve as temporary shelters with plenty of hay if out of the weather, or barrels, plastic totes, old toy chests... anything to give shelter from wind and rain. Give yourself time to heal. And don't stress. I've found my rabbits to be very adaptable.

When I bought my silver fox, the breeder told me she usually harvests at 16 weeks. She does not like that yucky job and wants more meat for the effort. Still plenty tender. That has worked well for me. I harvest anywhere from12- 16 weeks. Depending on current needs. (5-8#) sometimes even older. Still delicious! I do use 2 grow out pens but have not had a problem with both young bucks and does together up to 4 months. If one gets feisty, he's the first to go.i do harvest bucks first, then does. The does will grow larger. Maybe those "weak constitutions" could fence in a pen for you. Cardboard boxes can serve as temporary shelters with plenty of hay if out of the weather, or barrels, plastic totes, old toy chests... anything to give shelter from wind and rain. Give yourself time to heal. And don't stress. I've found my rabbits to be very adaptable.
I appreciate this so much, truly. It’s easy to get caught up in “but I’m not doing it perfectly the way The Internet says I should”

I appreciate this so much, truly. It’s easy to get caught up in “but I’m not doing it perfectly the way The Internet says I should”
There's lots of opinions on the "right" way to do it. When I first started researching rabbits.. someone wrote "never put rabbits together". If I had stopped there, I would have missed the joys of colony raising. The best advice, was someone here (sorry, don't remember who) said "every owner is different, every rabbit is different , every environment is different. Find what works for you and yours." Forgot to mention earlier, rabbits build bone first, put on more meat later. So later harvests mean better meat to bone ratio. Also waiting till 3-4 months means the option of also using the pelts. Sorry for your injuries, but this forced delay may mean you get more from your rabbits. Welcome to the adventure. Relax and enjoy. You and yours will learn together...

Latest posts

Back