First Show of the year

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asinaway

Reaction score
So finally getting around to my post:

Show went well over all, did really crappy this time, like baddddddd. Only won third twice, scratched the last show with that buck, was to tired and because he is a bit smutty in his red coloring knew he'd come in third again. But almost every single one of my buns are in molt or starting so it was to be expected honestly. The competition was fierce, the judge told me he had 195 Mini rex to judge. I had no chance at that point, not until I get some nice looking JR's born in my herd, and my darn things get their coats back in condition.

I ended up spending wayyyy to much money, but my husband had already guessed that and was prepared with extra money in his own wallet, that I'd have to kill him for if I wanted it, and he's kind of a keeper so I let him live. Although his asthma was bad and he did not have an inhaler. So it was a bit rough. He's extremely allergic to rabbits, but he loves me and is very supporting if not major protective of me.

Was able to pick up a 9 hole cage bringing me to 26 holes total. So nice now I can work with my herd more and develop some fine JRs.

Picked up Four new buns, A castor doe and buck, my husbands new black otter doe, and................ BROKEN RED BUCK. I could die with excitement. Here in MI broken reds are like Gold. People who get nice ones do not sell and if they do they sell them for high dollar, or sell the less quality ones. He's gorgeous and I can see some little broken red kits in my near future!

Overall we had fun, even if we lost bad but that's okay its not about winning for me. Hotel was so nice.

I'll post pictures when I get home tonight!

I also got to meet a fellow RT member talk about exciting! :p

Sounds like a win to me :)

Thanks for posting about the shows. It really helps this rookie here :)

Well, at least you found something good to purchase. Rex fur is a trip, Standard Rex age out pretty quickly, is it the same for Minis? My MR are not as old as my Rex.

Not that I have noticed, I had a five year old buck who had very nice fur even for his age. The coat I think gets a bit aged though. My friend just showed a four year old buck, he did decent not as well as the younger sr's but placed third out of five, so not so bad. I do notice my Bucks last longer in coat condition then my does do.

Here are some pictures I took today and at the show. My camera sucks so excuse the quality.

018-2_zpsfaea5f4f.jpg

024_zpsd5afa71c.jpg

006_zps2caf6ad0.jpg

011_zpsae38284a.jpg

005_zps46f70912.jpg

lol I was so tired by sunday so excuse the silly look. but I'm very proud of my new buck!

013-1_zps39d1c87a.jpg

016_zpsc588105e.jpg

Asinaway":1fqeb5e9 said:
Not that I have noticed, I had a five year old buck who had very nice fur even for his age. The coat I think gets a bit aged though. My friend just showed a four year old buck, he did decent not as well as the younger sr's but placed third out of five, so not so bad. I do notice my Bucks last longer in coat condition then my does do.

With my rabbits, the opposite is often true, which leads me to believe it is less of a link to sex and more about their genetics. I swear, the wind changes directions and several of my bucks seem to go into a full-blown coat blowout. There have been a couple of the does do it, but it's very common with the bucks.

That castor is handsome :)

Rex age out of coat after 10-12 mos, and usually aren't shown anymore. That's why I got the Jersey Woolys.

I think genetics do play a huge role in it, not positive though. I'll have to pay more attention to that and jot down notes.

Really sky wow, I can see why you went to jersey wooleys.

There were 20 something sr does on the table for one of the classes ages ranging from four to 6mo so mr definatly can be shown and be succesful for quite some time.

I usually have more bucks though showing, once I start to breed my does I pull them and leave them in my barn to be mommas instead of taking them out into the show world.

I'd have to agree that castor is very sexy imo lol He's my new main castor buck, so hoping for some good kits out of him!

Back