First rabbits-switching feed

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brass

Reaction score
My first rabbits arrive Friday! :D Both are fed a different feed than I will be feeding. One person is sending a little of the rabbit's current food to help it switch over. The other wants me to buy a bag of her food and thinks I should keep using it.

The problem here is that I can't get that food within a 3 hr radius of my home, so that won't be an option.

What do you recommend if she won't give me a small amount to help the rabbit switch over?

I recommend the drive to get "her kind of feed", then use the bag of "her feed" to do the transition to "your feed" . --feed transitions are one of the most risky part of moving rabbits, -you should feed "her feed" until the rabbits have settled in to your place, then start the transition to your new feed.

:yeahthat:

I have fudged on the switching feed slowly with our dogs (not often), but I really wouldn't recomend it with rabbits as their systems are so much more delicate.

Tell the person you're getting her from that you'd like to buy a large ziplock bag full of "her feed" from him/her, if they're not willing to give you some. If they have extra bags maybe you can buy a full bag from them--even if they're jerks and goouge yo a little, it'll be cheaper than the gas for a three hour drive, and will keep your bun's stomach calm while it gets used to your place. Then you can transition. Just a thought!

Latest posts

Back