First kindling anyone have any tips?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Albert

Reaction score
If all has gone to plan Pixie is due tomorrow.

We've changed her usual sleeping area so that it now includes a 6" high "baby scraper". I finished mucking about with her tractor to avoid disturbing her unnecessarily and she's got a load of fresh straw to make a proper nest. Her tractor is due to be moved today and we are planning to stick to our 2 day move routines.

We are planning to have a clean up in the nest after the event and then check on them once a day in the morning as that's when she's used to us opening up the indoor area.

Anything else we should do? If it was up to the wife our garden would be set up like an episode of MASH!

I prefer to have litters in pet cages indoors. Don't let the cat in the room with the cage because cats can smell new born and can reach inside the cage. Trust your doe to know what to do.

Checking in on her once a day might not be enough. She will be eating and drinking a lot more than normal. If it cold, be sure to give her thawed water. I took water to my does in the middle of the night when the nights got so cold. They thanked me by drinking profusely.
Be sure to check on the babies when their eyes open. Nest box eyes can cause blindness.
Baby bunnies are so fun. Enjoy!

Awww! Newborn bunnies! So cute.

How is your other doe doing? Any signs of pregnancy since that nesting she did a while back?

Interesting that the one on the far left seems to have a much wider head than the rest? Maybe that's just a camera angle? I'd be tempted to get a Sharpie marker and put a dot in that one's ear as well as the one at the very bottom of the picture to see how they compare to the others in a couple of weeks. It's never too soon to start deciding who to keep and those two look like the best in the bunch. At least, in that picture.

Interesting that the one on the far left seems to have a much wider head than the rest? Maybe that's just a camera angle? I'd be tempted to get a Sharpie marker and put a dot in that one's ear as well as the one at the very bottom of the picture to see how they compare to the others in a couple of weeks. It's never too soon to start deciding who to keep and those two look like the best in the bunch. At least, in that picture.
Is a wide head good or bad? Here they are at 16 days (yesterday).

IMG_20220325_073921985.jpg

I wonder if you put a tray with the same bedding as the nest box area in front of the opening, if they would be more likely to start coming out? It looks so different outside with the sunshine, grass, and animals. Seeing familiar bedding out there might encourage them in the right direction...

I wonder if you put a tray with the same bedding as the nest box area in front of the opening, if they would be more likely to start coming out? It looks so different outside with the sunshine, grass, and animals. Seeing familiar bedding out there might encourage them in the right direction...
They're out now the little monkeys 😊
IMG_20220327_130917711~2.jpg

Latest posts

Back