first butchering

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmfarm

Reaction score
I finally butchered my first rabbits in about 15 years (I did a few in my teens but that was a while back). It went pretty smoothly and I was surprised I was able to get them done so fast and with such ease. One was a male about a year old that wasn't very good quality, and the other was a young male from my daughters meat pen project from 4-H. I have since cooked them both and everyone liked it. Now we need more babies to eat.

Good for you!! It's a great feeling, I find, to be able to say I raised my own food from start to finish. I am in the same boat- it's been about that long since I dressed my own rabbits, and I can't wait to be able to do it again!

Wait until you discover pulled bbq rabbit and rabbit burgers (need a meat grinder for that one), Rabbit stew, casseroles, enchiladas, chili, etc.... :)

"Butchering" is the easy part .... I just have a hard time dispatching them.

I put off the last litter for 5 weeks , by that time I had no choice as I had no space & two new litters to house.

After doing the deed , I usually cant think about eating them for a couple weeks .... just so I can put it out of my mind.

My oldest son told me "Stop petting the food" the other day ....

BlueMoods":3od4tfzp said:
Wait until you discover pulled bbq rabbit and rabbit burgers (need a meat grinder for that one), Rabbit stew, casseroles, enchiladas, chili, etc.... :)

I can't wait to try some more recipes! I would love to get a meat grinder. I just wish the rabbits would get the baby bunny making going. <br /><br /> __________ Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:56 am __________ <br /><br />
Ramjet":3od4tfzp said:
"Butchering" is the easy part .... I just have a hard time dispatching them.

I put off the last litter for 5 weeks , by that time I had no choice as I had no space & two new litters to house.

After doing the deed , I usually cant think about eating them for a couple weeks .... just so I can put it out of my mind.

My oldest son told me "Stop petting the food" the other day ....

Ya, the killing part is the hardest. I just try to do it real quick and then not think about it. That's really funny what your son said. I had been putting it off too not wanting to do the killing part. I just decided one day that it was time and I wasn't going to back down.

You do get used to it, at least I did after so many years of raising much of my own meat. I do hunt as well so, it isn't a big deal to me to dispatch them. Easier than a bottle baby calf, lamb or kid goat that has to be food for us.

My now 13 yr old granddaughter has learned that here it isn't "what's for dinner?" it's "Who's for dinner?" When she is here I will ask her who she wants for dinner and, right now, since she has 2 pet chickens here it's "Anyone except Brownie or Road Runner." LOL

BlueMoods":3bqevzkj said:
You do get used to it, at least I did after so many years of raising much of my own meat. I do hunt as well so, it isn't a big deal to me to dispatch them. Easier than a bottle baby calf, lamb or kid goat that has to be food for us.

I hunt & fish a lot ... I have no problem shooting wild game , dove , squirrel , deer , hogs , turkey. Its those that I take care of on a daily basis that are .... difficult.

Latest posts

Back