First breeding

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ollitos

Reaction score
I have a few does who are coming up for first breedings. Aside from checking vulva color, what do I need to keep a watch for as signs that they are sexually mature and ready?

scratching at side of cage and making noises at neighbor rabbits... lifting when you pet the doe... mood shift...
i just go by color vulva/ age/weight

I don't know if this is of any help but i coincidentally i had recorded a video of my doe going crazy when she smelled a buck who was roaming free.
She shredded the newspaper in pieces who i had put on the bottom of the cage under the sawdust and she even sprayed pee at the buck.. you can see it in front of the cage if you look closely :x

She always seemed to lose her mind when she saw/smelled this buck.. she had 2 litters of him and both were 'oops' litters.
She wanted him badly and escaped twice, HUMPED HIM FIRST to show him what she wanted and then she lifted for him, BAM!
I've sold the buck now because i didn't want more unwanted litters from this pairing, lol

I have just uploaded it on youtube for you, it's the young CRAZY white doe in the cage..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4aIBv43h8s&feature=youtu.be

Disney, those types of cages always need a lock on them. I've had guinea pigs chew and fight with the door until it popped open.

If you rub above her tail or between her tail and leg, she should lift. Never had a doe that lifts just because I touched her back.

ChickiesnBunnies":7uipja93 said:
Disney, those types of cages always need a lock on them. I've had guinea pigs chew and fight with the door until it popped open.

Luckily i never had that happen, they actually escaped when i was busy feeding them or one time when i forgot to close the door properly. :?
Though i now raise the rabbits in a pen and the cages are only used for bucks or for temporary housing.
My proven buck who roams free in the backyard, i can't put him in these cages because chews on the bars endlessly and goes berserk.
The younger bucks are quite mellow and luckily never really tried or managed to do it, but i will lock the door better in case it ever might happen.:)

No one seems ready yet. I have three that I'm waiting on to breed.

For me it was waiting for my buck. My doe has been ready for a while and finally my buck was ready. The breeding only took two seconds first she ran over and humped his head and than lifted for him and he fell off 3 times. I will know in a few days by palpating her if she took or not. Both the buck and doe are very nice i can't wait to see what they produce.

I took one of the does over to our most energetic buck. He sprays if the wind blows sideways. He's all about the ladies. I sat next to his pen with her. She was curious about him and liked sniffing him through the wire. She turned her back to him several times but I can't say it's not because she was interested in something else.. like clover or grass. She did follow him back and forth a little. He was very curious about her. He kept sniffing her through the wire, sniffing where she had touched and tried to sniff her butt often.

Her vulva is pink.

So... should I try it?

Silverado was very ready! She lifted like a champ! Very successful first breeding for her.

Sassy, not so much. It was a first breeding for her and the buck both. He kept stepping on her tail (not helpful) and she wouldn't lift. I would be astonished if she ends up pregnant.

Hi-ho Silverado! :lol:

It sounds like Sassy wasn't ready... did the buck "connect"? If not, I would try her again in a day or two.

I don't think he ever got it done. He never grunted or fell off her.

Latest posts

Back