Fingers Crossed, Version 2.0

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SatinsRule

Reaction score
Went out to the barn this morning and Dottie had littered. Best as I can tell, there are 4 babies in the nest box in both blue and broken, but it's kind of hard to tell, as Dottie is a VERY territorial doe and I don't want to risk pulling back a bloody stump or even worse, losing the litter. Both mom and dad are very typy rabbits, and both have fantastic coats of fur. The dad just won the senior buck class at NASS over the weekend.

Dottie & Sir Duke Litter Day 1.JPG

Quick! Give Dottie a Dobbin's Delight horse cookie- they are irresistible- and get more pics!

MamaSheepdog":3cwjksrs said:
Quick! Give Dottie a Dobbin's Delight horse cookie- they are irresistible- and get more pics!

:lol: :lol: I'll try, but with that mom of theirs, it's going to be a real challenge. I just went out to check on the bunnies during my lunch break, and she lunged at me when I peered into the box. She's ornery about anybody but herself having anything to do with that litter, and I don't blame her a bit. So far she's been a fantastic mother, and the babies are doing well.

SatinsRule":1vmtm5dw said:
she lunged at me when I peered into the box.

:shock: Eeek! That would be a great trait in a colony raised doe. :D

None of mine act aggressive when they have kits, but some do seem nervous initially. Bribery works well with the nervous girls though! :)

Here's how they look now. All 3 still doing well and getting fat. The broken is no longer pink and blue and shows pretty good markings from what I can tell.
Dottie's Litter-Day 8.JPG
At least Ol' Dottie doesn't have her ears pinned back at me!
Dottie checking it out.JPG

they sure look shiny! :) answered that question for me if they come looking shiny or if it's something that appears over time.

Ladysown, I'm not sure if I still have some of the old pics of Maryse's litter from las year, or of the litter which Stratus lost back in the summer, but both of those does were whites and their babies were showing sheen when they were first starting to show hair. A satin without sheen is an automatic DQ, and in most rabbit houses, they turn into freezer camp refugees.

SatinsRule":3nw85iqp said:
At least Ol' Dottie doesn't have her ears pinned back at me!

But she doesn't look like she'll take any nonsense from you either! "My kits! MINE!"

They are beautiful babies- congratulations! :D

The little broken was walking around the box with its eyes open tonight.

Last night and tonight while I was out feeding, I caught something which I'll admit is special because I hadn't seen it in quite a while. Dottie was in the box positioned to allow the bunnies to nurse. As ornery and overly protective as she tends to be at times, there is no denying that she loves those babies and is a terrific mom.

Sometimes the simple little things like that mean so much.<br /><br />__________ Sun May 06, 2012 9:26 am __________<br /><br />Here they are at week 3:

attachment=0]dottie's litter week 3 (800x600).jpg[/attachment]

Attachments

• dottie's litter week 3 (800x600).jpg
    dottie's litter week 3 (800x600).jpg
    377.8 KB · Views: 873
Pretty bunnies! <3
wish i had some! :D
Maybe today when i get home Hoppy with have had a litter :D :D :D :D :D

__________ Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:12 pm __________

And here they are at 10 weeks old. Dottie's babies, born April 16th. Two bucks and one doe.

The first is the blue buck. He still has some size to make up, but I really like his rise and type. Of course, being a blue with a good coat, he shows his sheen well:
Blue buck @ 10 wks (640x480).jpg

This is the broken buck. He's pretty well filled out overall, but his rise isn't quite what his siblings have:
Broken buck @ 10 wks (640x480).jpg

This is the blue doe. She's got real potential, and already has good size for her age:
Blue Doe @ 10 wks (640x480).jpg

Attachments

• Dottie's Litter, Week 4 pic 1 (640x480).jpg
    Dottie's Litter, Week 4 pic 1 (640x480).jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 832
  • Dottie & Litter Week 4.jpg
    Dottie & Litter Week 4.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 832
It's always fun to win at shows, but there is an additional meaning when one of the bunnies you've raised out of your own litters does it. Here is Tracer, BOB in Show A, Altamont, IL this past Sunday:

Tracer (640x480).jpg

Hard to believe that he's about to turn 5 months old.

Congratulations! Definitely something special when your rabbit, born and raised by you wins.

Karen

Back