Fine-X feeder repair.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grumpy

Reaction score
As we all know, rabbits are notorious scratchers.

How many of you use Fine-X feeders? They're a great feeder.
But the bottom wire is easily damaged over time by a rabbit's incessant scratching.
Soon, you'll have feed dribbling out onto the ground. THAT'S MONEY!!

Take the feeder out. Use duct tape to cover the damaged wire on the outside. Next use a hot-glue gun and put a good amount on the inside of the feeder over the damaged area. It's super hot so will naturally spread over the damaged area.

Let it completely cool. Then carefully peel the duct tape off. You've got a feeder good as new. Works like a champ.

NOTE: if the duct tape seems "stuck" on the damaged area, just use scissors to trim as much of it away as you can.

grumpy.

Just a quick add to this. If you made the same mistake I did and bought the hay/pellet combo feeder, it's easy to modified back into a pellet feeder. Drill out the rivets of the insert, turn it upside down and around and then re-rivet it back in. Now you have a functional feeder.

great tip! I have a feeder that is damaged, now all I need to do is get out the old glue gun! :D

That is a great idea Grumpy
But, I have another:
I will cannibalize a few bad feeders,
taking out the wire from the feed trough
and use it to patch the necessary others.
Again, just as you, the Magical Glue Gun comes into play.
Just another suggestion, but whatever works best is what one should do/use
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

I was going to use the liquid cement and some plastic. Hot glue peels easily over time and totally worthless on glass or other high shine area.

Hot glue is a good idea for those small repairs, but for wholesale destruction, I found something more permanent.

I bought a roll of expanded metal mesh and used that. I dare a rabbit to try to tear it apart!

It just needs a bit of trimming, but doesn't even need to be hot glued to the feeder itself.

IMG_7394.JPG
IMG_0392.JPG

I have a handy hot glue gun and the mesh. I plan to get to work this weekend.

Can I paint the feeders? Maybe with Rustoleum?

I just happen to have a feeder that needs repair (TSC). I have hot glue, so I'll try this. Do the rabbits not chew on it? MSD, where did you find the mesh?

Gorilla Glue is waterproof... maybe it would do better than hot glue for this.

MSD - that mesh... I have some somewhere. The holes aren't too big? You don't lose feed through that?

LOL.
I wasn't trying to re-invent the wheel.
Just offering a quick fix in a short time.
Like..........right now.
I figured everybody's got a hot-glue gun.

I'm gonna look for that mesh. That looks like it would be the cat's meow.

grumpy.

Miss M":1atqkqc0 said:
MSD - that mesh... I have some somewhere. The holes aren't too big? You don't lose feed through that?

Nope. Here is a pic of the mesh slipped between the existing mesh and the back of the feeder, just for you:

IMG_0577.JPG

grumpy":1atqkqc0 said:

Sorry, Grumpy... didn't mean to one-up you. :oops:

But since I did... :twisted:

"I trumped Grumpy, clever man that he is!" :pinkbunny:

"Taught him something new, I did!" :tease:

skysthelimit":2o61eha0 said:
Can I paint the feeders? Maybe with Rustoleum?
Rustoleum is non-toxic when dry, and is often used to paint rusty floors of rabbit cages. I can't see why you wouldn't be able to use it on a feeder. :)

grumpy":2o61eha0 said:
Like..........right now.
Well, your hot-glue solution is perfect for a quick fix! :)

MamaSheepdog":2o61eha0 said:
Miss M":2o61eha0 said:

Nope. Here is a pic of the mesh slipped between the existing mesh and the back of the feeder, just for you:
Neato! The mesh is almost exactly the same size! :p Thanks!

MSD: :hooray:
"I trumped Grumpy, clever man that he is!" :pinkbunny:

"Taught him something new, I did!" :tease:

Yes Ma'am you did. LOL.

I need to get out more!
I'm definitely going to get some of that wire.

Have you priced one of those pop-rivet guns??
I thought about getting one of them for repairs.
BUT...They are outrageous!
Everything in this little po-dunk town is priced higher than a cat's back!!

I've not had a rabbit chew on the hot-glue patch....yet.
With rabbits, I've learned never to say "never".

grumpy.

grumpy":3gsc5vqi said:
LOL.
Like..........right now.

I'm gonna look for that mesh. That looks like it would be the cat's meow.

grumpy.

Well, it worked perfect for me because I needed a fix for like, right now. I didn't have any duct tape (I know, how does that happen?) so I just used a piece of cardboard to hold the glue on and left the little piece stuck on there on the back side.<br /><br />__________ Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:11 am __________<br /><br />Before reading this, I was actually going to use a little JB weld, since I have some. Not sure WHY I have it, but I do. Does anyone know if that would work as well or if it is safe?

Just a quick note on the mesh- there are different sizes, so be sure to check it before doing a grab and go.

Oh, do I get kicked out of the club for admitting I do NOT have a hot glue gun? I do have duct tape :)

grumpy":24l302db said:
MSD: :hooray:

Oooh! A trophy!

I humbly accept!

Okay- not so humbly... :twisted:

I need to get out more!

Lol! Now I know that no matter how hard a time your wife has getting you to go shopping, that hardware stores are probably one of your favorite places to spend time. You just missed it somehow. :)

You ought to come to Bakersfield. Being an oil town, there are bolt stores (yes, stores that sell almost nothing except bolts and fasteners! :p ) all over the place.

I don't make a very good girl- :oops: - I hate clothes shopping- but give me a good hardware or bolt store, and I am in heaven! :lol:

Have you priced one of those pop-rivet guns??

No... but I do have a manually operated riveter, of course! ;)

coffeenutdesigns":24l302db said:
I didn't have any duct tape

:eek: :shock: You need to rectify that post-haste!

Marinea":24l302db said:
Oh, do I get kicked out of the club for admitting I do NOT have a hot glue gun?

Glue guns aren't just for those Martha Stewart types, Marinea! :nono:

We'll let this be our little secret, but you'd best buy one soon, or you just may get booted. :(

You can fix just about anything with duct tape, hot glue, or zip ties! :p

:bananadance: Zip-Ties!! :bananadance:

Are Cool!! I use them for almost everything.

Duct Tape.........comes in designer patterns now!!

One time....long-ago. I went shopping with my missus to buy a pair of jeans for her.

Eighteen Pair and two hours later, I swore I'd never shop with her again. I haven't changed my mind. That was 23 years ago!!

Shopping trips and now done through "negotiation". Set times, set places, number of minutes allowed. etc. etc.

My innards quiver with nervous apprehension over her favorite phrase. "Let's just go look." I know I'm in deep doo-doo. LOL.

NOW, I can spend a few days in a large home improvement store. I just pack a lunch and take my sleeping bag. :p :p

grumpy.

grumpy":3q88cabg said:
:bananadance: Zip-Ties!! :bananadance:

Are Cool!! I use them for almost everything.

Duct Tape.........comes in designer patterns now!!

One time....long-ago. I went shopping with my missus to buy a pair of jeans for her.

Eighteen Pair and two hours later, I swore I'd never shop with her again. I haven't changed my mind. That was 23 years ago!!

Shopping trips and now done through "negotiation". Set times, set places, number of minutes allowed. etc. etc.

My innards quiver with nervous apprehension over her favorite phrase. "Let's just go look." I know I'm in deep doo-doo. LOL.

NOW, I can spend a few days in a large home improvement store. I just pack a lunch and take my sleeping bag. :p :p

grumpy.

Grumpy, you oughta know by now that clothes and shoes for women is on even keel with guns and power tools for us guys. In each case, we only need one MORE!!! I cannot walk into a hardware store, feed store, gun store, etc. without getting just what I went there for. I don't know about you, but I am like a kid in a candy store.

I don't know what I'd ever do without zip ties and duct tape. As for fixing feeders, I'm making a conscious effort to just replace my Fine-x feeders as they go bad. K-tanz is selling a line of feeders called Sift-o-matic. I bought a half dozen with my last order, and all I can say is I love 'em. They don't cost anything noticeable above what a Fine-X costs me, and they also don't have the mess involved with wire mesh, either.

SatinsRule":16g73fvx said:
Grumpy, you oughta know by now that clothes and shoes for women is on even keel with guns and power tools for us guys. In each case, we only need one MORE!!! I cannot walk into a hardware store, feed store, gun store, etc. without getting just what I went there for. I don't know about you, but I am like a kid in a candy store.

Not ALL women, SatinsRule.
*said by the woman who registered at Home Depot when she got married*
*said by the woman who goes to TSC every weekend as part of "date day"*

Back