Finally got my rabbits!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nvstickbow

Reaction score
I just acquired a pair of rabbits. I got a grey colored Flemish buck and a NZ White doe. Not sure if I'm going to keep the buck or try to find a NZ buck. They are my first attempt at meat rabbits. The guy that I bought them from said that he thought that the doe is pregnant but wasn't sure and didn't know when she may have bred :? , so I guess I'll find out before too long if she was or not. Not sure if I should just go ahead and put a nest box in with her or not. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Never had rabbits before so this oughta be interesting. Been reading all that I can on here and on other sites as well.

Attachments

• rabbits.jpg
    rabbits.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 447
Congrats on the new rabbits!

I would put a nesting box in just to be on the safe side. I had a Cali that would show no sign of nesting until just before she had the babies.

Welcome to RT, nvstickbow!

Congrats on your buns! I, too, would add a nest box, just to be on the safe side.

Welcome to RT! Are you in northern or southern Nevada? There are a few of us on here who are based in Reno, and many more small-timers around who aren't on this forum. Good luck with the new rabbits.

Thanks for advice and the welcome. I will build a box tomorrow when I get off work. I am in Gardnerville, about an hour south of Reno. I am toying with the idea of letting my kids do 4H with rabbits and would definitely have to look up one of the local purebred breeders for 4H breeding stock.

Welcome to RabbitTalk! :welcomewagon:

Yes, I'd put the nest box in as well, checking every few days to make sure she isn't peeing in it. You may have to wait a whole month before you know for sure whether she was bred or not.

Flemmies get crossed into meat lines frequently. They do bring some nice size, but they tend to be slower-growing and larger-boned, so you can just see what you get with him, and see if you are pleased with his kits' growout rate and meat:bone ratio. :)

It looks like they are housed together? Unless they have a very large cage, you will need to separate them. It also looks like the walls of the cage are chicken wire only. That has been done before, but rabbits can bite their way out, and predators can tear it.

Congratulations on the beautiful bunnies and your start in meat rabbits! :bouncy:

Miss M, that is actually the cage that they were in before I bought them. They are now in a proper cage with 1X2 wire sides and 1/2X1 wire bottoms with a 2X6 in the cave so they can get off the wire. I have also separated them now. I am not entirely sure that the doe is bred. I tried to feel for a kits today but couldn't feel anything; which could mean that she isn't bred or it could mean that I just don't know what I'm doing.

I actually bought them out of an estate auction. When I bought them I thought they were both does. Only when I picked them up was I told that the Flemish was a buck. My goal is to get purebred meat rabbits. I'm debating between the standard New Zealand or Californian lines or perhaps trying to get a heritage breed. There is a place up in Reno that has blue and white Americans as well as champagne d'argents. I have always kinda liked to keep odd things that you don't see everywhere. I am primarily raising the rabbits for meat for my family and I but may end up selling the young/ breeding stock at some point. I rather like the idea of keeping a rare breed going and don't mind if they don't have the grow out rate of the more commercial types.

nvstickbow":3u3fdi7l said:
Miss M, that is actually the cage that they were in before I bought them.
AH!! It all makes sense now! :p I don't know why that possibility didn't occur to me... quite a few others have posted pictures from before they picked up their buns. :)

nvstickbow":3u3fdi7l said:
I tried to feel for a kits today but couldn't feel anything; which could mean that she isn't bred or it could mean that I just don't know what I'm doing.
I'm still no good at it, though I gave up after only a few attempts. :roll:

As far as the commercial/heritage debate, I cannot help you there. It sounds like you already know the pros and cons of both, so it's just one of those things you have to make up your mind about. As someone who likes to keep things that are a bit different, you may find that a heritage breed is the perfect match for you. :) And there are plenty of them to choose from.

One other thing with the heritage breeds -- The ones that are somewhat scarce can be more difficult to deal with. Difficulty getting litters, difficulty raising litters, that sort of thing. Rabbits have a learning curve... add to that the learning curve of an endangered heritage breed, and it can get pretty hard sometimes.

Champagnes seem to have feet in both worlds -- commercial type (if you buy from the right lines), AND heritage breed. They are common enough that I would think they should be no more difficult than your average Californian. :)

The American and Champagne breeder that advertises on Reno CL is me! I'd be happy to set you up with either if you want to give them a try. We have kits every 7 weeks or so.

I do remember checking out an ad for Californians in either Minden or Gardnerville some months ago when I was toying with the idea of adding another breed. It was a 4-H family who seemed to have nice stock, kept good records, etc. In the end I just decided to explore crosses of my own stock for the short term rather than go to three breeds, but the rabbits seemed legit. So maybe just keep an eye open for online ads, or talk to the local 4-H clubs, see what strikes your fancy, and take your time while you stick with what you have as you learn the ropes.

And with heritage breeds, if you start out with good stock, you can challenge the productivity of Cals and New Zealands. Especially if you don't do your due diligence and verify that your commercial-type rabbit breeder actually attempts to improve his or her strain. Beware the local $5-$15 Craigslist non-pedigreed "meat rabbits." I've sold stock to 3 friends now who bought those kinds of bunnies, then grew tired of their ridiculously slow growth rates, poor mothering skills, etc. One Champagne buck I sold at 10 weeks was already bigger than the year-old "New Zealand black" herd sire he is destined to replace. Yes, you can sometimes breed your way out of such a situation, but I know I don't have the years of dedication it would take - I'm happy I started out with better rabbits right away.

Hi JessiL, I am the one that emailed you. I haven't heard from you yet but did miss a call while I was unable to answer my phone. I would like to talk to you some and possibly take a look at your rabbits. If you do not have the original email, send me a PM and I will give you my phone number again. Thanks

Shoot, I'll PM you for details. I apologize - I try not to drop the ball on phone or email with folks, but I do tend to wait for voice mail before calling someone back, just in case it's a misdialed number or something. Even with the voicemail screen, just today I got a message for "Larry" on my phone! Believe me, there's no Larry here.

And I'm curious to see how your Flemish Giant works out. There's someone in north Reno who apparently has at least one they are crossing with other meat breeds, mostly Satins if I remember right, but I don't know where they got their foundation stock. When I search for FG breeders with Google and the usual livestock specific sites, all I find are a few show- and pet-only breeders in California.

Latest posts

Back