Finally got a break:)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alch0my

Reaction score
I am very happy to announce I am picking up a few show quality hollands this Saturday. Im getting them from Camelot rabbitry. I got very lucky because she is going to meet me in Dayton Ohio, which isn't too far from me. They are very expensive but it will benefit me greatly. I can't find anything around me besides pet quality, so I am very pleased. A orange buck, Tort doe and broken tort buck Yay:) Im also picking up a couple in Indiana that are really nice. I can't wait.
This one is a doe camelot rabbitry
Danca F.jpg
A buck camelot rabbitry
Bkn 1 s.jpg
I couldn't add the orange bucks pic for some reason. The other pics are from Indiana
A doe. She is about 4 1/2 years old
0.37_0.21_0.13_0.32_240_197_csupload_29709683_large.jpg
A doe about 2 1/2 years old
0.14_0.07_0_0.16_238_200_csupload_41576446_large.jpg
A jr. Buck
IMG959522.jpg
A doe with a slipped crown
IMG957289.jpg

Sorry if this is confusing lol

Im posting a pic of the orange buck's father. He looks almost dead on him.
Heathcliff f.jpeg

I wanted to post some pics and maybe get some advice on which hollands to get. I can only get 4 because of space. The first 3 pics are holland lops from camelot rabbitry and the hollands after that are the ones in Indiana. If any one can give me their thoughts on which ones to buy I would appreciate it. I will post if it is a doe or buck at the top of the pic.

I don't know about show rabbits, but, me personally, I would be hesitant to get a 4 1/2 year old bun for breeding purposes. Maybe I'm wrong though, and if I am, I hope to be corrected.

They all look adorable to me, if that counts :)

:yeahthat:

The 4 1/2 year old doe would be a chancy buy if you intend to breed her - especially since you can't buy all of them anyway. If you must have her, at least find out her breeding history: last viable litter, survival rate, litter size.

A youngish but proven doe is a far better bet. Again, ask questions about her breeding history; it's always a good idea. I know nothing of show rabbits, so will not comment further on the individual rabbits.

I was thinking that as well. He said her litters are starting to be hit and miss. Still I am worried she has a high chance to die during kindling because of her age. She is cute and she is 40.00

Cute!

I really like #1, 2,and 5.

#2 has a nice head and good body shape, looks like good bone too. #5 looks like a nice chunky little rabbit and I love tort (3 of my 5 are tort, lol) The front legs on #1 look weird but that is likely just a posing for a picture thing.

I don't like #4s ears, them seem set on too far back and too thin, I've heard improving ears can be difficult. #6 might actually have a better crown than the picture shows and she is super cute with the over nose little mustache. #3 is nice but it really depends on how healthy she is to how many litters she can still produce.

Where are you in Ohio? There are lots of Holland breeders in Michigan, I had an easy time getting nice bunnies when I started with hollands this spring.

I agree with the others on old does and breeding, but I'd personally give it a shot. :) I have an "oldie" who I got very inexpensively because she's old and her litters were getting smaller and farther apart. ;) All the old gal has to do is make ONE DECENT DOE KIT and she can retire...to the crock pot since she's become a biter. :evil: But I digress, oldies can still be goodies, just gotta know the risks involved.

I liiiiiike that little junior buck. :)

I probably will take the older doe just because she is nice and very sweet. He is selling her cheap. I live in Cincinnati, Ohio if anyone knows other good breeders around me. I value and appreciate everyone's advice. I've learned a lot since joining rabbit talk. The broken black doe's ears are set kind of far back. I seen a sidways pick of her but she is still very cute. Couldn't I breed her to a buck with a nice crown and ears to get deacent kits from her? Oh I posted a pic of the orange buck's father. He lookes almost dead on him.

Sometimes you can breed a bunny with a fault to a strong bunny and get nice babies, sometimes some will have the fault and others not, sometimes faults can crop up when both parents are correct. Breeding is funny like that.

Do you have to commit before you look at them? Because personality plays a big part in it too.

Yes. I have to send her the money before she will bring them. She is driving a long way to meet me. Ive heard good things about camelot rabbitry. I asked her about personality and she said she don't pick them up a lot but pets them and says they're tame. I'm probably going to get the tort doe and orange buck. Still deciding on the broken tort buck. For two rabbits it's 275.00 and if I get 3 she'll charge 300.00. I only have enough space for 2 but I'd hate to pass up that broken tort buck for only 25.00 more. She offered to sell a cage for 55.00 but I'm already spending alot on the bunnies.

I don't know a lot about hollands, but from the pics I'd say your starting of good. But whoa on the cost, heck yea expensive. My husband would probably kick me out lol. But worth it to start out with good stock.

As far as an older doe, I picked up a five year old doe with good breeding history. She did not disappoint. Just gave me a litter of two, small for a ml but still she pulled so much hair I have extra.

If you like her, and she would be useful for you then I'd consider her.

Back