Finally...Freezer Camp Time

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JT_Hunter

Reaction score
My first litter turned 12 weeks old last Thursday....even though it was horribly hot outside yesterday...I sent 4 of those first 6 off to chill out in the fridge before actually freezing them. I was really surprised that on average the dressed rabbits averaged a tad over 3 pounds each...I will get to those last 2 next weekend... :shock: ..My danged old fingers started to cramp up on that last one...I had been working on cages before doing skinning....and I was probably a bit dehydrated....I also found out that trying to do a cook out while cleaning bunnies can cause burnt dogs. :lol: :lol: ...oh well...I eat em any ways....

I have scheduled a family cookout in mid August for a "Bunny Roast"...should be a good time....more on that later...

So...OK...time to tell the secret little story here...it is one of those...learning experiences....my third little devil bunny escaped from me on the way over to the "Play Pen"....you know...the one right next to the pellet gun....danged little critter headed off thru the woods...me...with pellet gun in hand...stalking said Wabbit...ever so carefully...finally found him....hope none of the other campers saw me out there in the woods...I will never hear the end of the "Big Game Hunting" jokes around the canpgrounds...So...what did I learn...use gloves when transporting a rabbit to its finall desination...especially if it just watched its cage mates take that trip before them...they are not so inclinded to make that trip

As you can see from the photo...I am out in the boonies...but I had things pretty well ready...You can see the "Play Pen"...with hole cut in the end to make it easy to insert the pellet gun

Attachments

• 2011-07-17_16-12-39_862.jpg
    2011-07-17_16-12-39_862.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 747
LOL, BG Hunter instead of JT Hunter!

Why not turn the 'playpen" into a carrier by adding a handle. Then you could put the rabbit in it straight from its cage. Your set-up looks good and I'm impressed with the dress-out weight at 12 weeks. :goodjob:

Well...the playpen could be a carrier...If I had not robbed the latches off of it that holds the bottom on to make cages with...figuring that I would replace them when I got my stuff from Klabertanz...but alas...one of them got lost in the hay and straw on the ground...and for the life of me...cannot find it....I guess I could just wire it together...good idea there Maggie...I will try that with the remaining 2 little devils I need to process this weekend.....

and the JT_Hunter is an alias I have used for years...and has little to do with my real name...<br /><br />__________ Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:55 am __________<br /><br />The weights were great...now keep in mind...that is meat and bone...whole rabbit...I was impressed concidering they are NZ/Cal mix...I kept them on full feed...no hay...just pellets...He..He...He....then one last pellet on last day....shame on me....

Oh my! LOL! You are too funny!! :lol: Congrats on the great outcome though, and the successful first freezer camp!

Frosted Rabbits":30khnyja said:
How uch extra do you pay a month for the freezer part of the camp?

Too funny...actually...I have a small 5 CF freezer in my camper...have to have one of those...the one in the fridge just will not do it...as I also hunt for food...(only)...I needed to be able to keep food in a chest type freezer...still have about 20 pounds of venison in there....as I am single...I tend to cook meals on the weekend...then freeze it for the next week...I make both breakfast and lunch dinners to take to work with me...frozen...then heat in the Nuker here at the office...Hmmm...actually...time to heat up this mornings breakfast....<br /><br />__________ Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:58 am __________<br /><br />
Miss M":30khnyja said:
That was pretty funny! :lol: I can just see the other campers peering through the trees to watch you stalk your meat bun!
The other campers avoid me...I think it is all of the skulls on sticks in my yard that does it....I had to be real careful no one saw me...that would have probably started a real mess....we do have a few "Tree Huggers" in the bunch...they would not understand raising the rabbits to begin with...in fact...no one even knows I have the rabbits...have to keep them hidden...My landlord knows...but no one else does....even if the other campers saw me...They would not think too much about it...they all know I am a bit "touched" as they say...after all...I live in a camper

Seriously, what you do is nobodies business, you are not harming anybody, and merely trying to provide for yourself. When we moved here, one of the neighbors dropped a squash off on our porch, with a note that said "We just wanted to show you what the earth can provide." They also included some pamphlets on not eating meat. :roll: Hubby said we should have invited them over for burgers and brats on the grill! :lol: I'm 100% cool with people having beliefs, just don't push them on me.

Back