Finally doing it - canning rabbit

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffeenutdesigns

Reaction score
Not sure how it turned out until I actually eat some, but I finally pressure canned my 4 adult breeders that got culled. From those 4 rabbits I ended up with 5 quart jars of canned meat and 2 quart jars and 5 pint jars of soup starter I made by making stock from the bones, picking off all the meat and then canning with soup veggies. The stock was tasty so we'll see how it is once I open up a jar to make soup with this winter. Looks like it'll be a quick start to chicken noodle soup or chicken or rice or the like. I'm actually really excited about this. First time for everything, I guess. The next batch of rabbits I'll just can the stock instead of as soup, but i had to try this at least once.

I bet it will be a favorite. We love all of our canned meat, including rabbit. We have eaten venison for years, but I was still shocked when I started canning it. The flavor was amazing! I actually like canned meat better than frozen now. And Rabbit pot pie from canned meat...rabbit chowder... yum. Let us know how you like it!

Ok, well, I'm an idiot I forgot about 3 vacuum bags I had put some of the rabbit in that were still in the fridge when I thought I was finished canning. It's gonna be crockpot bbq'd rabbit for supper. Soooo, those 4 rabbits did go a lot further than I thought they would. If I decide I like the canned rabbit, I might feed a few more out to adult weights just for more meat.

To save all of us waiting to see if you like it, how about having a taste test?

;)

I am trying to justifiy the cost of a pressure canner so the more reviews on canned meat the better!

Latest posts

Back