Figured out why my doe wouldn't breed...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe n TN

Reaction score
Because she's a he! My wife, who is usually very good at sexing rabbits sexed "ChaCha" when we got her at 6 weeks, and again at about 10 weeks and was 100% sure she was a she...

ChaCho, new name for him, just wasn't willing to let my buck breed him so my wife decided to check as she took him out of the cage this morning and didn't have to look very hard because his nads were staring her in the face.

I guess I need another doe now and have a nice, young buck for sale...

Joe

P.S. I feel like an idiot!

sex change fairy, stikes again! :mrgreen:

I had two bucks, had been looking for a doe for months. When I went to pick up rabbits, I was going to trade out my 2 bucks, turns out, one of the bucks, was a doe. woops, for me, too! I did not trade either of them, since they are used to me, they should be my easy breeders!

The sex change fairy comes to all. It's even happened to people at shows. I check pretty much every month just to be sure.

I am actually HOPING for a visit from the sex change fairy! Which probably means I won't get it, LOL. Out of 3 surviving babies, I had turned them every 2 weeks. Not only from privates, but growth rate, I thought I had 2 bucks and a doe, until about 3 days ago. The doe seemed to have developed a penis at 6 weeks old :/ But now I have read posts on RT talking about stretching and distance between parts and, hmmmm, she was a HE right after pooping (basically, I had to scoop it out after flipping, guess I scared her/him). I sold the 2 obvious males, hoping she's a she and not a FABulously fuzzy crossdresser! :lol:

dragonladyleanne":3cesqvae said:
Not only from privates, but growth rate, I thought I had 2 bucks and a doe, until about 3 days ago.

I haven't found any difference in growth rates between does and bucks. Just because it's a bigger kit or grows faster, doesn't make it one or the other. Just because it's humping doesn't make it a male. so far I have been able to sex my kits withing three days of birth, not being wrong very often. I've had some I haven't been able to tell, and usually they are difficult to tell even at 12-16 weeks. That group turned out to be my split penis group.

I have my rex buck because of the sex change fairy. LOL! His breeder thought he was a she until she took "her" to a show. She (the breeder) didn't need another buck, but I was glad to get him!

Latest posts

Back