Field bindweed, and Kochia weed

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaredI

Reaction score
I cannot remember seeing these two plants on any safe list, but my rabbits love them. Field bindweed (Convolvulus arvensis) and kochia weed ((Kochia scoparia) both have very high protein, comparable to alfalfa. My rabbits seem to eat the dry bindweed before green, however, they bypass many other plants to tear this stuff up. They also seem to prefer kochia over bindweed. Another weed they are nibbling on a fair amount is, curlycup gumweed (Grindelia squarrosa) Maybe someone has more information on these.

Don't over feed bindweed. It actually comes up on many toxic lists because too much causes health problems in other livestock that might graze on it. One study did manage to kill a bunch of mice and find potential health problems in necropsy even in the ones with no symptoms who were fed a lot less bindweed.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8592835

Field and hedge bindweeds are part of the nightshade family-- as is our favorite climber, cultivated Morning Glory. Druing plants can alter the chemistry-- you would not believe the nunbers of plants out there, that if fed fresh, release cyandide! and we arenot talking about their seeds, like apples and peaches-- but leaves and stems.

Field and hedge bindweeds are part of the nightshade family-- as is our favorite climber, cultivated Morning Glory. Druing plants can alter the chemistry-- you would not believe the nunbers of plants out there, that if fed fresh, release cyandide! and we arenot talking about their seeds, like apples and peaches-- but leaves and stems.
Botanist bunparent here: the solanide compounds found in Solanaceae, the nightshade family, are in the foliage. That's why tomato leaves are on the no list and the actual fruits are on the okay list. Morning glories and bindweeds, however, are in the family Convolvulaceae. In general, the seeds of these plants have the highest toxicity which is why humans get trippy when they eat morning glory seeds. Hedge bindweed may be slightly more questionable than field bindweed, but not as dangerous as a nightshade.

Botanist bunparent here: the solanide compounds found in Solanaceae, the nightshade family, are in the foliage. That's why tomato leaves are on the no list and the actual fruits are on the okay list. Morning glories and bindweeds, however, are in the family Convolvulaceae. In general, the seeds of these plants have the highest toxicity which is why humans get trippy when they eat morning glory seeds. Hedge bindweed may be slightly more questionable than field bindweed, but not as dangerous as a nightshade.
i found that information helpful Thank you.

So, as someone who wasn't planting morning glory because I didn't want accidental poisoning, as long as I don't grow it as feed it's not deadly in terms of accidental ingestion? If I pull the vine before it seeds, do I still risk serious illness or is a tummyache the more likely scenario? What about the bud or the flower?

Thank you for this post!

My rabbits always eagerly ate up morning glory leaves with no problems. I had the kind with blue flowers.

Latest posts

Back