Feeding suggestions, is this a good diet?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adwian

Reaction score
I just got 2 Californian/NZ mixes, one of which is likely (not 100%) pregnant. The other is a buck. I just want to make sure that I'm feeding them well and not too much. They are both eating about the same amount because I don't have them seperate right now. I feed them about 1/2 cup each of Southern States brand grain and a small handful of 2 different random veggies/weeds (yesterday was carrots and lettuce, today was sweet potato and dandelion). I haven't added hay because I wasn't sure if what I have is okay for them. I already have orchard on hand, is that okay or do I need to buy alfalfa or some mix? I am only feeding them once a day because I fed them at night once and they didn't eat anything until 5am and mostly just made a huge mess and didn't eat a whole lot.
Suggestions? Additions? They seem happy and healthy so far.
Thanks!

hay is one of the best things for them. Timothy from what i hear it the best. Orchard grass is fine for them. I hear it is a sweeter hay than timothy grass. Alfalfa is popular hay for rabbits under 6months, then you are supposed to switch over to timothy. Most people from what I know free feed their rabbits hay. Mine get a lot of timothy hay, i free feed it to them. And I give them just under a cup of rabbit pellets a day. For snacks I give them a couple dandelion flowers and a few leaves. occasionally a piece of carrot, or some oats. the pellets I given them have some dried fruits and veggies mixed in with them. But i hear that is too much sweets for them. So I guess when they are finished with those bags of pellets then I will have to switch to one with only pellets in the bag.

Latest posts

Back