Feeding 'malted' grains

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desert Rose Rabbits

Reaction score
I found this: http://reno.craigslist.org/grd/4256212217.html posted on my local craigslist and was wondering if anyone knew if this could be used as feed, or as a supplement. I'm always looking for ways to lower feed costs. Right now, my buns are fed primarily whole grains (wheat, oats, barley) and I supplement with alfalfa cubes, and offer pellets at least twice a week for vitamins and minerals.

I'm wondering if the malted grains might be a good option to growouts to add some more non-empty bulk to their diet.

I've seen that too... I wonder if it's "spent" brewer's grain, fresh malted, or dry malted? If anything but dry, I'd suspect there might be a good chance for dodgy molds to be present (I've read somewhere that rabbits are unusually susceptible to some of the molds and other beasties often present in ferments, making it risky to feed them things like silage). Will be interesting to see what others with more experience have to say!

Where do you get your whole grains? I've special-ordered Modesto Mills organic before, but was annoyed by the price mark-up and order screw-ups, and for now have just gone back to pellets, hay, and our own forage.

I was originally getting all my grain from Green's Feed, but the last couple of bags were purchased from 1-Stop Ranch and Feed (off of Glendale, I think). Up at Green's Feed I was paying between $14- $20 per 50# bag and it was pretty dusty. The stuff that I just got from 1-Stop looks great and smells fresh. I got whole wheat and whole oats at $13 for a 50#? Pretty sure that's what I paid. Their grass hay looks and smells amazing. The key with them is that you need to call ahead to make sure that they have what you need as they're more Mom & Pop than some of the other feed stores in town. When I asked about getting some timothy cubes, they didn't have any in stock and don't normally carry them but were all over special ordering for me without an issue. Don't know if their stuff is organic or GMO-Free, though.

Kitty102":2yr1rawt said:
I found this: http://reno.craigslist.org/grd/4256212217.html posted on my local craigslist and was wondering if anyone knew if this could be used as feed, or as a supplement. I'm always looking for ways to lower feed costs. Right now, my buns are fed primarily whole grains (wheat, oats, barley) and I supplement with alfalfa cubes, and offer pellets at least twice a week for vitamins and minerals.

I'm wondering if the malted grains might be a good option to growouts to add some more non-empty bulk to their diet.

Check out this: http://www.feedipedia.org/node/74

I think you may be in luck!

Frecs":3ngj50gs said:
Kitty102":3ngj50gs said:

Check out this: http://www.feedipedia.org/node/74

I think you may be in luck!

Why is it that I can never find this stuff when I look for it on my own! :D :p

Will do, and no problem!! I have an email out to them right now to find out if it's wet or dry. If it's wet, I won't bother, but if it's dry... for the price I just can't pass that up!

If you don't mind me asking:
If you go with the malted grains, how do you plan to feed it? I guess I am asking, if you would feed just malted grains and hay or would you mix it in with other grains/pellets, etc.

We have something similar for sale around here and I am trying to decide whether to get some. Would love any advice!

Thanks so much!

Per feedipedia.org:
Brewers dried grains can be mixed with spent hops and brewers dried yeast to improve their nutritive value. It is quite palatable and is readily consumed by animals. Brewers grains are good sources of protein and of water soluble vitamins. The crude protein content (27-30 % DM) of brewers grains is relatively high ....

Rabbits (study references removed. see feedipedia for full listing):

When available, dried brewers' grains are classical ingredient used as source of protein and fibre in rabbit feeding, and recommended since a long time. This product is sometimes included in the reference diet for the study of other raw materials at levels varying between 5 to 20% for growing rabbits or for reproductive does.

The most frequently used incorporation level in studies on consequences of brewer' grains utilisation in rabbit feeding varies between 20% and 30%.

For the incorporation of brewers' grains in growing rabbits ration the important deficiency in lysine must be underlined: it covers only about 60% of requirements. The second amino acid deficiency of brewer's grains protein is their poor content in threonine covering only 85% of rabbits requirements.

Thus, I would recommend mixing the dried grains with other feed with the dried grains being no more than 40% of the diet so that you can provide the lysine and threonine that the dried brewers grains are deficient in.

This is Feedipedia Frecs signing off....

Latest posts

Back