Feeding Bread

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonnerSurvivor

Reaction score
Have any of you guys ever tried feeding bread to rabbits? I googled it and couldnt find any definitive answer as to how they may do on a diet of bread + some pellets. I can buy a truck full of bread for around 20 dollars (expired stuff) and I have been feeding it to my chickens. I also have been giving the dark wheat bread to my rabbits typically just a few slices a day and so far they have really enjoyed it and they seem to remain healthy. I am planning on giving a few of the more expendable rabbits some larger amounts and seeing how they do on it. Anyone else ever try this?

They can eat bread but in small ammounts because bread swells in the stomach. And whole wheat bread since white bread has like no nutrition

I have heard that bread should only be fed to rabbits if it is air dried or toasted first because fresh bread can "ball up" in the stomach.

I have no experience feeding bread except as a treat to my rabbits, but 20+ years ago when I was raising mice as feeders, bread was a big part of their diet and they did just fine.

I've done it, in a pinch because I've been having a hard time getting pellets. Not all of mine will eat it. I toasted it first.

I ride at a barn and she likes to have "barn rabbits" running around and she just puts some horse feed,bread,and water out and they do just fine. They obviously forage on other things, but they are happy rabbits and live a good life out on the farm with the free range chickens. They usually like to hop into the round pen though and I have to shoo them away lol

I have upped the amount of bread I have been feeding and so far the results have been good. The rabbits havent been finishing their pellets they just wait for the bread. I only feed the wheat bread and it is frozen but I dont think this makes any difference. So far I am thinking expired bread will be a very good inexpensive rabbit feed. Now I just need to find better brood stock so I can do some weight gain and growth comparisons as well as continue to observe the health of the rabbits over the long term.

How do you store a truckload of bread ?
Anytime I can get some extra, it goes into the freezer.
I also use my second frigerator alot.

TwoAcreDream":3n7tgr51 said:

Good question, lol! I missed that in the OP! Now I'm wondering pickup truck or semi? :p

If I got a truckload, I think I would string the bread slices on cord (like popcorn strings) and hang it to dry.

Well depending on what state and the temperature, it could be stored in plastic totes for awhile. I would worry about mold issues with bunnies if not stored properly.

TwoAcreDream":3ysoii91 said:
Anytime I can get some extra, it goes into the freezer.
I also use my second frigerator alot.
Good question! This is a pickup with a really tall topper that I have filled up. Last night the temp was -20 Fahrenheit and the high for the week is around 20 fahrenheit so storage during Minnesota winters is not a issue.

I would have concern if they are not finishing their pellets. I know that seems good, but I've heard of rabbits being "addicted" to certain foods and when those foods removed the rabbits wasting away. So I would be careful.

I feed bread but, like MSD I make sure it is hard first. I'd think twice about making it a high percentage of their diet. I would never feed white bread, not much there but starch. I use Daves Killer Bread for myself and dry the heels and any bread that has been around too long. It is organic and has a lot of cracked wheat, sunflower seed and flax in it; plenty of roughage for both me and the buns.

dayna":2ao3wdhm said:
I would have concern if they are not finishing their pellets. I know that seems good, but I've heard of rabbits being "addicted" to certain foods and when those foods removed the rabbits wasting away. So I would be careful.
It is interesting you bring this up. The last couple days the rabbits have been going back to hammering their pellets then eating bread after the pellets are gone. I am not trying to totally cut out pellets but rather have a cheap food substitute that I can feed during the winter months. I feed grasses/weeds/leaves and branches in the summer but in the winter I have been stuck feeding 16 dollar a bag pellets and my rabbits honestly are not that good so production vs input was not looking so good. I really need to find new stock and cull almost everything I have but so far I have been unable to find what I want.

We sometimes get large bags of bread from the "day old store" to feed to the chickens and ducks. Mother is suppose to dispense it as a "treat" but she gets carried away. She says to me "they like their bread!" I tell her, "yes, and children like twinkies but they should not live on twinkies and ducks and chickens should not live on bread."

From reading old books on raising rabbits, it would seem that porridge and bread were common foods to feed rabbits way back. But, I ask myself "what type of bread would they have fed then?" It would not have been the gooy, gummy breads people favor today for sure! It would have been more substantial bread baked with real ingredients instead of something from a chemical factory.

I say that to say this: it isn't so much if "bread" is acceptable or not but rather what type of bread and how much.

Back