Feed. Reducing costs.. % alfalfa?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blenny

Reaction score
So, I am moving away from commercial pellets, especially in the summer.. And am looking at about every option to lower feeding costs for my colony....

But had a question

I found a guy locally who has organic bales of grass that is 25-35% alfalfa for $5-6 each. ... Which is a great price point locally.
Since my californian does are in colony and I don't separate the babies for specialized feeding... is that too much % of alfalfa for my older rabbits if I leave unlimited hay for them?

I have been feeding bales that are over 50% alfalfa and my rabbits are doing great though I think I need to cut the pellets back because they are getting fat.

That is my worry with my does.. I don't mind heavy feeding my babies...
I do have them on colony, so they get a good deal of exercise. (my one rabbit that isn't on colony is a lot fatter)

Since you are planning to cut back on the pellets, I don't think that percentage of alfalfa in the hay will make your does fat, especially if they are bred regularly. Rabbits in a colony are less likely to gain excess weight: more exercise and less eating out of boredom.

The hay I feed to my colony rabbits is about 80% alfalfa and my rabbits are not fat. But then, I do not feed pellets at all.

Back