Feed change.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzy9

Reaction score
We're looking to change feed brands right now. We're tired of Nutrena. We're losing body condition lately on Nutrena, and we've been finding alot more corn bits in the pellets, yet it keeps going up and up in price. Another close by rabbitry has noticed the same thing, so we're looking for other options. Since I refuse to support Purina, my options are limited. We thought about going more natural, but after weighing our options, hubby isn't content with longer grow out times.

My options are the following brands, and I'm curious who feeds them, and how you feel your rabbits do on them? We're looking for a feed that we're not gonna have to do any supplementing on, just pellets, and grass hay, though I can add in some extra alfalfa when needed.

I have access to Buckeye, and we are working on getting ADM Pen Pals in the area. I like that ADM is corn free. Anyone use these brands? Thoughts?

Do you have Heinold available? I switched to Heinold from Kent purely because of cost and it completely boosted condition in all of our rabbits and we're seeing great weight gain in litters. We had Purina for a short time and switched to Pen Pals, but Heinold is best I've found.

Cattle Cait":go2xs7kw said:
Do you have Heinold available? I switched to Heinold from Kent purely because of cost and it completely boosted condition in all of our rabbits and we're seeing great weight gain in litters. We had Purina for a short time and switched to Pen Pals, but Heinold is best I've found.

Is it available at tractor supply? There isn't a whole lot of choices where I live aside from purina.

We thought about going more natural, but after weighing our options, hubby isn't content with longer grow out times.

Geri, does your hubby realize that although grow out times are longer with natural feeding, in many areas (depending on the cost and availability of alfalfa hay) it is cheaper, even though you are feeding them for longer? My cost per pound dropped dramatically after switching to natural feeds. It is more work, however, and you do need extra cage space.

MaggieJ":1is9bmbn said:
and you do need extra cage space.

^^This! :) We are maxed out with cage space right now because of weanlings! We are having to process right as the litters before them are ready to wean, and separate. We are butchering right around 10 weeks now, and it has to stay that way. Hubby hasn't had time to build any cages lately, and he won't have time for a couple months. He is maxed out with time!<br /><br />__________ Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:11 pm __________<br /><br />
Cattle Cait":1is9bmbn said:
Do you have Heinold available?

Bummer......closest is 3 hours away. :)

I ahve tried ADm Pen Pals, Liked it-- And Buckeye feed, Like it, as well, MUCH better than the Purina brands. Buckeye copmes in 16 and 18 percent proteins-- the 16 worked out just fine for my herd at the time. I am not sure about the rabbit feed, but Buckeye makes slight changes in the feed for alpaca, llamas, and othe commony pastured animals around here, to compensate for shortcomings in the soils. When I started adding fresh forage ot the rabbit diets, I doid not notice any major changes in their condition

Thank you Terry, I appreciate the info. I use Buckeye for my ponies, and I've known about the adjusted minerals because of that. I know here we are very selenium deficient for one thing. The only thing holding me back from using the Buckeye vs. the Pen Pals, is that I would have to special order my rabbit food, which is what I do for my ponies, but one bag of Grow N' Win lasts me a long time for the two of them. Going through so much rabbit feed, it would really end up being a pain I think. I also like that the Pen Pals is corn free. So if they are both good feeds, I think we'll probably lean toward the Pen Pals, and hope our local store will start carrying it.

I feed kent...it is expensive but I dont care as long as it feeds the rabbits well. I started off on heinold and it just didnt work for me. When I switched to kent I started having way better wool and fur and condition. I think what you feed will depend on your herd. Ive always been told by many breeders that have been in rabbits way longer then me that you always breed your rabbits to your feed. So i personally believe its whatever works for your herd. You might have to try a couple before it works and i dont mean try it for two weeks then switch...give it a month and see what happens.

Great points Jessica! For us, we don't show, so fur condition isn't top of the list. Body condition, meat, and kit production is. I have a couple easy keepers who do well on air, but everyone else just seems to be losing condition to the point it's noticeable now. We'll try the Pen Pals, give it a couple months to see how we feel, and take it from there. I'm going to try adding in some alfalfa hay with my nursing does, and see what that does for them as well.

fldman":rup16766 said:
Cattle Cait":rup16766 said:

Is it available at tractor supply? There isn't a whole lot of choices where I live aside from purina.

A friend of ours picks it up in bulk from a feed elevator about an hour a way and then distributes it among 6 or 7 breeders. Check out the local granary.

We're gonna try the Pen Pals first, we can get it closer. I think our local feed store is working with an ADM rep too, and may start carrying the Pen Pals, otherwise we'll just drive the extra distance to get it. I'm crossing my fingers, it would be nice to be able to get it local.

There is a small mill here in Southern California (Perris) that makes a very good 16% feed at a reasonable price. My rabbits prefer it to much higher priced brands. They bag it under several names for different retailers; Kelleys and Star are two of the brands.

That's great to hear, thank you for letting me know!

Back