Feed Blue Label 16

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deleur2

Reaction score
My question isn't about commercial feeding, nor natural. I left the top off the feed bin AGAIN today and it rained. So I had to run out of work to grab a bag of pellets from our local store. I got there 2 minutes before closing time and they were sort of rude. I grabbed a bag (not their normal feed, because I've gotten that at Walmart and thought it was maybe not good enough for them, protein wise) 16 percent is what I grabbed. I have a nursing doe now and a 5 week old and two older rabbits. So I see the label.....for pets, bucks and dry does. OHHH poop :eek: I ask what that means in case it's not what I think it is. They don't know...I say I have a doe that's nursing...They say that's ok, it's listed last. SO, here I am worried again. Is there a reason it would be bad for her while nursing?

Any sudden feed switch could cause digestive upset, especially for weanlings.

Feed companies like to sell higher protein feeds for lactating does and growing fryers. Some breeds like angoras seem to really need the extra protein. Mine don't seem to need it. I feed 16% to all my rabbits, lactating does, growers, etc.

I get comfortable weights. Rabbits are all different though. You will want to observe yours closely to see how they do.

If your doe seems thin, you can supplement her diet with a bit of boss (black oil sunflower seeds.) Just a spoonful or two a day while she's nursing should be plenty.

Oats are another good supplement.

It is possible that the sudden switch will cause problems, but a number of members have reported suddenly switching feeds with no issues. It all depends on the rabbits.

All my rabbits, except the lionhead, get 16% feed.

The oats Zass would be talking about would be regular old fashioned kitchen oatmeal (not quick oats, just the old fashioned). :)

Is that because of the breed of rabbit you don't give it the same? I honestly don't know what kind of rabbits I even have. I know buying them at an auction probably isn't the best place to get them, but you think they would say what they were. Could have been they did, and my daughter just doesn't remember. When I got home last night and looked in the feed bin there was still some dry pellets that remained. I wondered if I mixed it with the new if it would be better for their bellies, like you do with dogs when switching them.

If the old pellets are dry and not moldy, I would mix them with the new.

I also feed a 16% pellet to all my rabbits, and have no issues.

deleur2":1ieto5uk said:
When I got home last night and looked in the feed bin there was still some dry pellets that remained. I wondered if I mixed it with the new if it would be better for their bellies, like you do with dogs when switching them.

Changing feed slowly as possible is always the best . and feeds for older rabbits, bucks, dry does, pets etc. regardless of protein content, are too low in energy for nursing does and growing rabbits, so increasing the energy for a nursing doe would be a good idea, Oats mentioned above is good, as is Black Oil Sunflower seed, if those 2 are not easy to come by, then- cooked potato with a little [no more then a tablespoon/ day] of vegetable oil mixed in.[I am assuming the rabbit has access to good grass hay] -but as mentioned above change should happen slowly, any stress can bring about a disease attack in the animal if it is lingering in the rabbit held in check by the animals immune system. things like coccidiosis, and EC usually surface after the animal is stressed.

Latest posts

Back