Fat replacement Does

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just noticed my replacement does, are getting way too fat for breedstock, they are being fed a 2 1/2 oz [cat food can] scoop of pellets everyother day and a carrot every other day, as well as free choice alfalfa hay, and grass hay. They are really going to be "put-out" if I take away their carrot, and I worry about taking away the scoop of pellets because of potential nutrition shortages. -- I guess I will have to reduce the alfalfa to grass hay ratio--
--anyone else had / have these issues???

Do you weigh them, or just feel their backbone, etc ?

I have a tendency to overfeed. Sorry I'm not much help.

I don't weigh them, [because I feel it is too arbitrary] -- I just look at them, then feel them [the back bone, and all over]
They are fat-- not just big in frame-- those cross breds sure can be efficient survivors-- --------------------------------------------------my "purebreds" never have this much of a "problem" they seem to eat a lot but never get fat this fast, I worry about keeping them "fat" enough for winter health.

What if you cut the carrot in half or strips? If you cut it lengthwise it'll still look like a big piece so there might not be a bunny pout session, but it'll cut their calories. Maybe give alfalfa every other day and keep the grass hay free choice until they feel like they're a better weight.

compared to alfalfa [easpcially my fine stem, leafy, high altitude, alfalfa] carrots have very few calories [about 185/ lb] so a 1/4 lb piece of carrot is not much calories, -- the local alfalfa has about to 1000 to 1500 calories / lb [I am told] and way over 20% protien.- The does like the alfalfa, and it keeps winter weight on the older does, -- but-- i can see it is not working for these young replacement does.

__________ Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:16 pm __________

this is a fat replacement doe-

Attachments

• rabbit cage doe holes 003.JPG
    rabbit cage doe holes 003.JPG
    263.5 KB
  • rabbit cage doe holes 005.JPG
    rabbit cage doe holes 005.JPG
    301.5 KB
I'd cut out the alfalfa entirely and just give free choice grass, a slightly scant scoop of the pellets and, the carrot. I agree that the alfalfa is a protein and calorie dense feed and needs not to be there for the ones that need to loose some weight. The pellets will provide the nutrition insurance you need, they can fill up on grass hay so they don't think they are on a diet and, the carrot is a low cal treat they can still enjoy.

I would do what was posted, but
I would cut out or at the very least, cut down on the amount of Carrot!
Carrots are "SUGAR" and sugar is fattening.
I would go with the Grass-hay and a good quality pelleted rabbit feed.
The Pelleted feed is a balanced diet, this makes all the little treats [Carrots Etc.]
the problem. What you feed them is up to you, don't let the Rabbits decide
what's for dinner! Kind of like asking your children: "What would you like for Dinner?"
Ice cream and Cookies, or Meat and potatoes with a vegetable on the side?
What would they choose? Rabbits will do the same thing if YOU allow it.
Good luck with the Diet. Try placing a Two X Four of piece of PVC pipe between the
feeded and the water source. Jumping or climbing over is good exercise.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Good luck with the Diet. Try placing a Two X Four of piece of PVC pipe between the
feeded and the water source. Jumping or climbing over is good exercise.

did you see the above pictures of the cages, -- they have their own personal gym, -- they can run, climb, and jump to their hearts content, -- and they do-- they have 3 foot high cages, with a shelf at 1 foot and at 2 feet, they are climbing and jumping from the bottom of the cage to the top shelf all the time.- and they run up the side wire and jump across the pen and run down the other side wire, -- they look like hamsters playing on a wheel. -I was worried about them getting a leg caught in the side wire, -- but-- it has never happened. I had a 3" x 16" willow log in there, for her to eat/ play with, but took it out before the picture, as she had eaten all the bark off and a lot of the wood.

I really have [mostly] selfish reasons for making the cages "rabbit condo's" like I did, -- in my experience rabbits with cages like this have fewer health problems,probly from the exersize, - -- don't get tired of the kits before weening as they can "escape" from them by jumping up on a shelf to rest.The shelf type cage is not crowded with a big litter even though it is only 30" wide because they have the shelves to sit and lay on-[so the extra space is like having a 5' long cage]-, and lastly ,- the rabbits have never had sore feet because the shelf is where they sit 90% of the time and it is smooth wood and easy on feet.
Until I built these kind of cages I didn't realize rabbits like to climb, and jump up on things like they do, -- and every rabbit likes the top shelf the best for resting.[ -like a cat] <br /><br /> __________ Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:18 pm __________ <br /><br /> I just got all 12 bread so will see how this crossbreed bunch of does will do

Latest posts

Back