Farewell to my best buddy, Super Sid

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SatinsRule

Reaction score
Less than a week ago, he won Best Red in 2 shows in Missouri. He did very well the previous weekend in Peoria, winning Best Opposite Red up there.

Today when I came home, the one rabbit I was closer to than any other in the barn was dead. My spirit is as broken as it's been in a long, long time.

You were my bestest buddy, Sid, and you will be sorely missed but never forgotten so long as I live.Super Sid.JPG

Billy,
I am very sorry for the loss of your friend Super Sid.
He was a very nice looking rabbit. I hope you
got a few offspring from him to carry on his genetics.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer: :(

ottersatin":1fan6ilz said:
Billy,
I am very sorry for the loss of your friend Super Sid.
He was a very nice looking rabbit. I hope you
got a few offspring from him to carry on his genetics.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer: :(

That's just it, Otter. I lost the only doe I could have ever bred him to just a couple of weeks ago, and I never got any offspring out of him. He was the one I originally thought was a doe. He had type, color, coat and tons of personality.

Just a week ago, he was in the best shape of his life. Tonight, I'm literally reduced to tears over this whole thing. :cry:

And Oak, I have absolutely no idea in the world what caused it.

Well, I went out to the barn to do the evening feeding and watering. Having just picked up a brand new bag of feed, I started taking out what I had left in the barrel, and I may have found what the culprit was.

I'd been keeping the feed in a galvanized can. The lid on those things are curled over, and anytime there is any moisture inside the barn, some of the residual moisture accumulates under the curled over portion of the lid, and it tends to run off into the barrel when I take the lid off to feed. It had apparently been accumulating at the bottom of the barrel and causing the feed at the bottom to clump up and develop mold. I wound up throwing out about 5 lbs of feed.

Another wierd thing happened tonight. As badly as I felt about Sid, I couldn't help but notice that another one of my reds, Tatro, has the tendency to stand at the front of her cage, begging for attention whenever I'm in the barn. I opened her cage and took her out, and couldn't help but think that it was much the same thing Sid had grown to do over the weeks which passed since I brought him home from Illinois in mid-November. I held Tatro for a pretty good while, and it was almost like she did not want to be returned to her cage. The Lord only knows how badly I needed that tonight.

Oh, Ibet Tatro could feel how you were in the dumps. I am so sorry this happened to you, and so sorry you have no babies from him. He was absolutly gorgeous.

I am sooo soory for your loss. I lost my first mini rex fala to an acciedent it broke my heart badly. He is goregous rabbit and you are very lucky to have known him.

I am so sorry to hear this. I know how you feel, it can be such a blow, especially when they are young and healthy. He was a beautiful rabbit. :cry:

Aw, Billy, I'm really sorry you lost your friend. (((Billy)))

Thanks for the support, folks. I really appreciate it from the bottom of my heart.

Life goes on, I'm sure it will, but this was a blow which set me on my buttocks from an emotional standpoint. Had it not been for Tatro last night, I don't know how I could have made it thru what happened emotionally, and sure enough, when I went out this morning to check water and give them their oats/barley, Tatro was sitting at the front of her cage waiting for more attention.

Here is what I come out to in the rabbit barn now:

Hold me, please!!!
Tatro at the cage door.JPG
Go ahead, open the door already!!!!
Tatro waiting.JPG
I need attention NOW!!
Tatro waiting for some attention.JPG

Latest posts

Back