Fall fertility

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rittert3

Reaction score
My rabbits are outside and my buck seems to be handling the heat the best. But if he happens to go steril from the heat what temps and for how long should I wait until I breed again? We've been over 100 most days this week and over 75 at night. I want to wean before november if possible and I ussually wean at 5 1/2 - 6 weeks.

Usually bucks would be sterile for 3 or 4 months.I would be certain he was sterile unless hes a very young buck.bucks in the 6 to 7 months range didnt go sterile.i always saved a young buck to do my fall breedings.

If you have a run of more than three days of excessive heat,
and feel that you Buck may be temporarily sterile.
Use him and continue to use him, the more he is used for breeding
the sooner the blanks will be shot out. his sterility may last
only days or weeks rather than Months.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

He is my only buck and will be 1yr on aug.26 and I want to get my does bred just before then so I can wean by Nov. I will only have 2 breedable does this fall so alot of use isn't really an option but I try to get 3 or 4 breedings over 2 hours per doe. we've been between 72 and 112 the last week ussually 92-102 during the day and 72-80 at night. I guess I'm just wanting to know how cool it needs to get before I breed and for how long, both for bucks fertility and stress on them all. They are outside. and I table breed if that makes a difference.

ottersatin":htydmzq1 said:
the more he is used for breeding
the sooner the blanks will be shot out. his sterility may last
only days or weeks rather than Months.

So keep breeding him multiple times to multiple does? I only have one doe ready to be bred. I'd love to get another litter out of her. What do you suggest? We've had a massive heat wave... several in fact. Let them breed all day and hope for the best?

Latest posts

Back