Fagor Pressure cooker

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mystang89

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone has one or uses any of their equipment but I recently bought a 8qt pressure cooker from them for $109. It was supposed to be one of the best out there according to the reviews from "professional" cooks. Well, it came in the mail nice and quick, like, 1 day after I placed the order. Made me happy.

I opened it like a little kid at Christmas who finally gets that present he's always wanted and went to immediately cook with it. Put some food in, some water, just something real basic and turn the heat on. I waited for the pressure indicator to tell me that it was up to pressure and that I can turn down the heat. I waited...and waited...and waited...nothing. The entire time steam had been coming out from under the handle on the lid, not the area where I figured it was supposed to come out, but this was a new pressure cooker so I figured it was just made differently than the old one that I had, a hand-me-down from my mom. After a few more attempts and the same thing happening I send an e-mail to the people who sent it to me asking if it could be defective because of the steam coming out from under the handle. They said a little steam was normal and that I should put some cooking oil on the gasket. Didn't make sense to me but they made the pressure cooker so they should know the ins and outs of it.

After putting putting cooking oil around the gasket I went to make a rabbit dish. I did all my getting ready, put the rabbit in and, although it seemed to take a bit longer than I would have thought to get up to pressure it worked fine! Great meal had that day.

I was a happy camper and the next day I wanted to make another pressure cooked meal. I did the same thing and it never came up to pressure. I waited for over an hour waiting, adding water in when it started to dry. I added a total of 5 cups of water into the pressure cooker and by the end of the cooking I had 1/2" of burnt food on the bottom of the pressure cooker. I was slightly...perturbed :evil: and sent a very politely, constructively rude letter to the representative telling them to take their gently used item and give me back my money if that is the way they make their items. Yeah, we'll say that was how I nicely worded it.... :roll:

Well, it didn't take long for them to get back to me and tell me that they contacted someone who knew someone that had a pressure cooker from someone somewhere and they said it was defective and I could send it back and get another if I wanted or they would send me my money back. Well, by this time the pressure in my head had subsided and I told them to send me another one. Yep, just send me another one, like you said you could do. That's it. I get another e-mail back saying they were completely out of stock :shock: and it would be another 2 or 3 weeks before they got one in. :lol: :lol:

Haha, ok. Jokes on me. I go looking for more reviews on pressure cookers and this seems to be THE one that everyone goes to. I look on their website and see a 10qt pressure Canner, not just a cooker but a canner! OOOOh, I've always wanted a canner. The 10qt canner was originally priced at $200 but was knocked down to $91. Threw up red flags in my head so I figured I'd question it. I call them up and ask if a pressure canner can be used to cook food too or just can. The canner can be used to cook food, the only difference in the 2 pressure cookers is the canner comes with canning equipment and the 8qt doesn't. Ok, check that box. Now why is the 10qt canner cheaper than the 8qt normal? They said it was because the person who was in charge of pricing that particular shipment got a REALLY good deal on the bulk order and the shipping so that dropped the price considerably. Ok, check that box too. Now, can I use the $109 from the 8qt and put that towards the $91 for the 10qt canner and get my $18 back? They said yes. YEAH ME! More money to me, bigger pressure cooker and a canner! I hit the lotto :money:

They said it would be here Monday. They said this yesterday when I ordered it. It arrived early this morning :D

On top of all that, I forgot to send back the steaming basket that came with the 8qt so now I have a steaming basket with it too. Now, I'll have to wait to see if this pressure cooker actually works or if I am going to be Mr Grumpy again. No offense meant to you Grumpy :)

yep, a pressure cooker/canner is on my list of summer purchase goals-- I hope I get one that does not leak!!!

I've never oiled a gasket and haven't ever had this trouble with any of my pressure cooker/canners. The only time I had issues with it not building pressure was when I managed to forget to flip the lock on the handle to keep the steam in...doh! The old style rubber gaskets probably did need something to keep them supple but most newer ones are made of silicon so don't need any oil...it might even make it not stick quite as tight.

Hope the new one works well for you!

We'll find out tonight. Plan on cooking rabbit so I'll see how it does. I'll also have to find a recipe in here for rabbit stock/broth and see how to go about canning.

I have a small stove top presto cooker and a ginormous All American canner. I love them both and don't know how I've survived this long without them! Good luck with your replacement. I like the all american best because there are no gaskets to fail on them, and it also has a pressure regulator that vents the pressure when it gets above the desired pressure. Very cool. I don't walk far from it, but I don't need to keep my eyes glued to it, or keep messing with the flame on the stove.

You can't beat the All American canners. They last forever and best of all they are made in Wisconsin not China.

Hope it works well.

Just got my pressure canner last week. *waits impatiently for the garden to flourish so I can use it*

lol no kidding Mari. I just keep looking at the tomatoes, green peppers, green beans and all the other stuff tapping my foot.

I was given a Presto pressure canner a couple of Christmases ago, and I love it! :p It does have a gasket, and it does direct you to oil it, so just follow the directions yours comes with. :)

I haven't canned much yet, but I have done it a little. And I have pressure-cooked a nice amount in there.

I also have a Fagor Duo pressure cooker. I need to get a new gasket for it. I didn't keep it oiled as faithfully as I should have. I was supposed to oil it before I put it away, and I usually forgot. I love that cooker, too, and it isn't as humongous. You can definitely tell when you need a new gasket... steam coming out from places it shouldn't! :roll:

We're just putting our garden in... have corn, limas, peas, carrots, beets, and chard coming up already, though!

We have lots of plants to get in... tomatoes, peppers, squash, etc...

Yey, this one seems to work a charm. Even more excited to can something. I've never canned anything before so it will be something new for me. Told my wife about canned rabbit and she got the :sick: look on her face. Was kinda funny to see. "Meat isn't supposed to be canned." Ahhh, you're so cute. hehe, not sure how we're still married. Poor woman has to deal with me.

mystang89":1sdrjoe1 said:
Yey, this one seems to work a charm. Even more excited to can something. I've never canned anything before so it will be something new for me. Told my wife about canned rabbit and she got the :sick: look on her face. Was kinda funny to see. "Meat isn't supposed to be canned." Ahhh, you're so cute. hehe, not sure how we're still married. Poor woman has to deal with me.
Sounds like she needs some flowers and a "thank you for staying in spite of me" card! :lol:

Have you canned hamburger? Makes for seriously fast dinners. :) (Although canned meat tends to smell like cat food.)

Latest posts

Back