Eye troubles

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Falsecharity

Reaction score
I bought this guy with full disclosure of his eye issue. He was in a grow out cage with 5 or so boys all around 4-5 months, all peeing on each other as rowdy boy buns do. No one else in the cage or at the rabbitry had any eye, sinus, discharge issues. I saw everyone and had my hands on most of them.

I'm trying to decide if this is an infection from getting pee in the eye, an injury, (both) or something else.

I was doing saline eye washes and he's improved, his eyelid was so swollen and red it was putting his hair into his eye and not helping, the swelling is almost gone and no more hair on the eye now. The eye is still cloudy with some white discharge.

I put some curicyn pink eye solution in yesterday, it can take 3 days, if I see no improvement we're moving to antibiotic eye ointment. If that doesn't work I'm thinking of trying Penicillin but would rather not do injections.

I've also considered if this is rabbit syphilis since he's from a rabbit breeder, lot of hanky panky going on.

He also has a few tiny scabs on his face around the eye, I'm not sure if he did it scratching at the eye or they're injuries from the original cause of the eye issue. He only scratches at it after I treat it. There's also a weird white line running up the eye, is this most likely a scar/wound on the eye or could it still be infection?

Sorry for the length. Any insight is appreciated! I don't want him to be uncomfortable. IMG_20230213_165237965~2.jpg

I'm hopeful it's healing. I bought him for various reasons, but mostly because rabbits are not common in my area, and it's usually a 3 hour 1 way drive to get anything, and this boy was from lines outside my state/show stock, had all the body traits I needed to improve my herd, had a very good personality (a lot of NZ whites are snots), and I'm on a limited budget at the moment so buying a rabbit that was a cull only due to an eye issue that was an infection/injury (I didn't plan to show) made a lot of sense. And he's a really good boy personality and physically and it would have been a shame for him to be a freezer meal just because something unfortunate happened to his eye in particular if there was a chance to save the eye.

I’m not an expert at all, but thought I would chime in since I’m dealing with a similar issue with one of my buns right now. Mine is the same age, 4-5 months and was by himself in a grow out pen. Went out one morning and found him hunkered down on the ground acting in pain with a pinkish red swollen weepy eye. No blood or other injuries on him so I’m also not sure what happened. It looks a lot like the photos of your rabbit, with the same cloudy center. I used terramycin from tractor supply and put it in his eye twice a day for about 3 days and washed with a strong chamomile5C4F9738-8184-4228-A2EA-26F9E3DEED4D.jpeg tea. The terramycin was a little bit pricey at around 24.00 but a lot cheaper than a vet visit. The redness cleared up and he seems to be doing better despite having lost vision in that eye and cloudiness.

Do you have a feed store nearby that might carry some kind of antibiotic ointment like that? I think you can also get it online.

I hope your bun is doing better!

That's what I'm using at the moment but I'm using an animal eyewash from the vet that I already had along with it. I tried a different med first and it actually made it worse, it really irritated his eye so I waited a couple days and stared the terramycin 7 day treatment. But thanks for the suggestion! I'm hoping my guy heals up too. I don't even mind if he has a scar I just want to be sure it's not bothering him ultimately. Ideally it clears totally with no vision loss but I'll take imperfect with no pain.

I asked because I'm of the mindset that the only rabbits that should EVER be bred are ones that never suffer any kind of illness or injury... whether it be due to stupidity, accident or disease.

Rabbits are born to die.

My philosophy is such that why would I want to breed an animal that already shows a propensity toward killing itself? It's one thing if it's a feed issue...that's on the person feeding them. But it's another thing entirely if he's the bottom tier rabbit that got itself injured, or he runs into things, or is carrying a latent illness. If you want a relatively problem free herd, you need to breed toward that always.

I asked because I'm of the mindset that the only rabbits that should EVER be bred are ones that never suffer any kind of illness or injury... whether it be due to stupidity, accident or disease.

Rabbits are born to die.

My philosophy is such that why would I want to breed an animal that already shows a propensity toward killing itself? It's one thing if it's a feed issue...that's on the person feeding them. But it's another thing entirely if he's the bottom tier rabbit that got itself injured, or he runs into things, or is carrying a latent illness. If you want a relatively problem free herd, you need to breed toward that always.
The breeder had 2 pitbulls come in and kill a bunch of her animals, and he was in a pen with other males. I think if he was scratched in the eye in that situation or peed on it's not something that's going to genetically effect my rabbits. He's calm, friendly, and smart enough to not tip his water over and go thirsty. A rabbit that's mean or so skittish it's impossible to handle has no place in my rabbitry. He lets me work with his eye each day and then wants to play, cuddle, explore, and eat snacks immediately after, that speaks a lot for a prey animals temperament. I get you on the disease weakness tho, that's why I asked originally if it did indeed look like a wound. I am under the impression it was or a combo of both. I would be hesitant to breed physical weaknesses in. If he heals and I decide to breed him I will watch for anything that pops up in offspring. I keep very detailed records for this reason. Hard labors, poor kit performance, bad mothering, lost kits, weird colors, sickness, nest box eye, ect. If I like what he produces I will keep offspring, if I don't I'll have freezer meal, if that doesn't work out he'll make a nice mannered pet for someone.

At the moment my rabbits are lacking physical traits that will make them better as meat producers, this male will make my herd better. The fact that he will pass on genes that improve the physical traits of what I'm breeding towards outweighs the possibility that he pass on kits predisposed to random accidents. If it's a disease that is different but nest box eye is usually pretty easy to avoid on a smaller scale.

The breeder had 2 pitbulls come in and kill a bunch of her animals, and he was in a pen with other males. I think if he was scratched in the eye in that situation or peed on it's not something that's going to genetically effect my rabbits. He's calm, friendly, and smart enough to not tip his water over and go thirsty. A rabbit that's mean or so skittish it's impossible to handle has no place in my rabbitry. He lets me work with his eye each day and then wants to play, cuddle, explore, and eat snacks immediately after, that speaks a lot for a prey animals temperament. I get you on the disease weakness tho, that's why I asked originally if it did indeed look like a wound. I am under the impression it was or a combo of both. I would be hesitant to breed physical weaknesses in. If he heals and I decide to breed him I will watch for anything that pops up in offspring. I keep very detailed records for this reason. Hard labors, poor kit performance, bad mothering, lost kits, weird colors, sickness, nest box eye, ect. If I like what he produces I will keep offspring, if I don't I'll have freezer meal, if that doesn't work out he'll make a nice mannered pet for someone.
If his other eye is completely fine, maybe that can indicate whether it was just an injury? I can see how that might make a big difference in deciding whether to breed him or not.

If his other eye is completely fine, maybe that can indicate whether it was just an injury? I can see how that might make a big difference in deciding whether to breed him or not.
His other eye is perfect, clear and bright. No sneezing, no nasal discharge, no wet inner front arms, no poop issues, no acting off, good appetite happy and bright boy. It's just that one darn eye.

His other eye is perfect, clear and bright. No sneezing, no nasal discharge, no wet inner front arms, no poop issues, no acting off, good appetite happy and bright boy. It's just that one darn eye.
That’s good to hear! I would probably keep him too if it were me… assuming the eye heals nicely. Temperament is really important in my herd as well- I don’t want to deal with any nasty mean rabbits even if it means they’re smaller for meat, so as long as it doesn’t affect the health of the offspring it sounds like he would be a good addition. 🐰

I guess it all depends on what you want from your rabbits, too! Mine are just for my own family’s protein security and I sell a few babies as pets. It offsets feed costs. It might all be different if I were taking them to shows. Or had a restaurant agreement. Do you show your New Zealands? 😊

That’s good to hear! I would probably keep him too if it were me… assuming the eye heals nicely. Temperament is really important in my herd as well- I don’t want to deal with any nasty mean rabbits even if it means they’re smaller for meat, so as long as it doesn’t affect the health of the offspring it sounds like he would be a good addition. 🐰

I guess it all depends on what you want from your rabbits, too! Mine are just for my own family’s protein security and I sell a few babies as pets. It offsets feed costs. It might all be different if I were taking them to shows. Or had a restaurant agreement. Do you show your New Zealands? 😊

Mean animals are a no go on my farm in any form. I have one doe right now that's so skittish she's a nightmare to work with. She wasn't that way before but unless she calms back down she won't be staying. I don't show but I'm working toward ARBA standards, I have no intention of showing so an eye that's not perfect or a missing toenail isn't an issue to me. The closest I might get to a show is one of my nieces doing 4H. I raise rabbits for self sufficiency, meat for my family and dogs, and for the fertilizer the buns produce because we grow a big garden every year.

Mean animals are a no go on my farm in any form. I have one doe right now that's so skittish she's a nightmare to work with. She wasn't that way before but unless she calms back down she won't be staying. I don't show but I'm working toward ARBA standards, I have no intention of showing so an eye that's not perfect or a missing toenail isn't an issue to me. The closest I might get to a show is one of my nieces doing 4H. I raise rabbits for self sufficiency, meat for my family and dogs, and for the fertilizer the buns produce because we grow a big garden every year.
I agree 100%. Not only are aggressive/terrified/unpredictable animals miserable to work with and something of a threat to children, but they also have much higher tendency to get sick and/or injured due to erratic behavior and higher stress levels.

One thing I have noticed though is that young does that come of age during spring can get very uppity, but then calm down again after being bred. So now my 100% no-tolerance policy has a caveat for young spring does. Still, absolutely no biters "pass go," and if the spring doe goes back to her uppitiness after the litter, she goes too.

By the way, I agree with the diagnosis of injury for your rabbit. The eyelid clearly shows a cut:
Inked eye injury.jpg
I've dealt with several rabbits that sustained eye injuries just like this - cut eyelid, scratched eyeball, etc., and most of them healed almost perfectly, even regaining sight in the eye after it had been very cloudy. Most did have evidence left on their eyelid of the cut, but you had to look closely to notice it.

I agree 100%. Not only are aggressive/terrified/unpredictable animals miserable to work with and something of a threat to children, but they also have much higher tendency to get sick and/or injured due to erratic behavior and higher stress levels.

One thing I have noticed though is that young does that come of age during spring can get very uppity, but then calm down again after being bred. So now my 100% no-tolerance policy has a caveat for young spring does. Still, absolutely no biters "pass go," and if the spring doe goes back to her uppitiness after the litter, she goes too.

By the way, I agree with the diagnosis of injury for your rabbit. The eyelid clearly shows a cut:
View attachment 34442
I've dealt with several rabbits that sustained eye injuries just like this - cut eyelid, scratched eyeball, etc., and most of them healed almost perfectly, even regaining sight in the eye after it had been very cloudy. Most did have evidence left on their eyelid of the cut, but you had to look closely to notice it.
Thanks, actually now that you point that out it does look like a cut, and I can actually see a scratch path on the lower lid as well. The hopes with the horribly skittish doe was that she would chill since they often do, and she wasn't this bad prior, it was like someone flipped a crazy switch in her brain, lol. I bred her to my best/calmest buck just to hedge my bets. Her babies are gorgeous fat little piglets but she's nuts. If I walk in eyesight she freaks out, she grunts and stomps when I change her water but is fine with me handling her babies. Not a line I'm going to continue which is unfortunate since she's a rare breed and physically a very nice example of her breed. But I don't want crazy in my lines.

Thanks, actually now that you point that out it does look like a cut, and I can actually see a scratch path on the lower lid as well. The hopes with the horribly skittish doe was that she would chill since they often do, and she wasn't this bad prior, it was like someone flipped a crazy switch in her brain, lol. I bred her to my best/calmest buck just to hedge my bets. Her babies are gorgeous fat little piglets but she's nuts. If I walk in eyesight she freaks out, she grunts and stomps when I change her water but is fine with me handling her babies. Not a line I'm going to continue which is unfortunate since she's a rare breed and physically a very nice example of her breed. But I don't want crazy in my lines.
Does she have pink eyes? I've had a few REWs/cals that were at least partially blind and it caused them to behave pretty erratically. Their non-red-eyed offspring did not have the behavior problems.

Just curious, what breed is she? If she has nice litters who inherit her good attributes, especially since the buck was calm, you might find a well-tempered kit among them to propagate the good stuff. :unsure: Temperament is definitely heritable, but not all the kits will necessarily get that attribute, and there are some other things that can produce a nutso rabbit.

Does she have pink eyes? I've had a few REWs/cals that were at least partially blind and it caused them to behave pretty erratically. Their non-red-eyed offspring did not have the behavior problems.

Just curious, what breed is she? If she has nice litters who inherit her good attributes, especially since the buck was calm, you might find a well-tempered kit among them to propagate the good stuff. :unsure: Temperament is definitely heritable, but not all the kits will necessarily get that attribute, and there are some other things that can produce a nutso rabbit.
Nah, she's a blue silver fox so it's very unlike the breed's usual temperament. She's so skittish that something spooked her and she just left the kits after birth. Didn't clean them, or cover them with hair. If I hadn't caught it when I had they'd be gone, they were cold and 2 didn't make it. The kits themselves are gorgeous and she's been a good mother since but I don't want a doe so easily spooked that I lose litters because the wind blew when she was giving birth and sent her running. Alternatively something is wrong with her making her this way so I think it's for the best to not continue. I'll probably move her to the barn and let her be free roam in there with the goats. See if being out of a cage with hiding areas to duck into does anything for her nerves.

Back