Eye Something

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AShelBunny

Reaction score
What is this?!

What do I do?

This is a young rabbit born December

Attachments

• IMG_20240215_101437.jpg
    IMG_20240215_101437.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 0
What is this?!

What do I do?

This is a young rabbit born December
It looks like conjunctivitis which is an inflammation of the conjunctiva - the thin mucus membrane inside the eye..... aka pink eye.

I made black tea and placed a soaked cotton ball on Twix's eye 2x daily for 7-10 days.
Some people use Terramycin - an antibiotic creme.

If you are talking about the white mark in the center of the eye, it could be foreign matter sitting on the surface of the eye, like a hair, or goop that will be blinked away.

If it doesn't move when the rabbit blinks, it can be a scratch on the eye. Most of the time those are incredibly hard to photograph without fancy lights and equipment, so I am guessing it is something they rabbit got in its eye, like a hair, and coated it with eye goop, which happens naturally to protect the eye from sharp things.

We had a case where our rabbit's eye (and occasionally eyes) would weep and get red around the edges. We started with Terramycin, and that would work for a week or two. Then it would start up again. We brought the problem to the forum, and someone here suggested he may be allergic to the hay we were using. So, we pulled all the hay out and went pellets only. That fixed the problem. Then we added hay, but not in the feeder over his food, but on the floor and in small amounts. He's doing well that way, and we have had no problems in 5 months. I figure the problem isn't as much hay allergy as it is him shoving his face into it as he was trying to eat his pellets. (We have one of those dual hay/pellet feeders.) Now that he doesn't have to stick his face into his hay, he seems much happier and healthier, and no resulting eye problems. This is the only rabbit (of 28) we've had to do this with. (so maybe it is an allergy issue - but we have it solved by just locating his hay away from his food.)

Latest posts

Back