eye problems

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Celice

Reaction score
I've had this mini rex buck for about 5 months now and just as winter started to set in he started to get this eye problem at the beginning I though it was just the weather that was making him tear up a bit but then he started to lose fur around his eyes and now he's got this gunk coming out of his eyes. I'm at a loss as to what this is or how to deal with it.

any thoughts?

untitled_by_tricksters_taxidermy-d9rmmx8.jpg

untitled_by_tricksters_taxidermy-d9rmmwm.jpg

can't see from the picture well enough, -- but, check his lower eye lid to make sure it is not turned in, rubbing on his eye-- some "small" breeds have this problem... and his eye is cloudy, maybe some eye meds could help in case it is an eye infection, or pink-eye...

michaels4gardens":2gkobbkb said:
can't see from the picture well enough, -- but, check his lower eye lid to make sure it is not turned in, rubbing on his eye-- some "small" breeds have this problem... and his eye is cloudy, maybe some eye meds could help in case it is an eye infection, or pink-eye...

I'll check on his eye lid. what would you suggest for eye meds if he needs it?

Could be the dreaded p-word too. Most sites say it starts with eye problems and hairloss around the eye long before they start sneezing.
Make sure he is removed from everyone else and quarantined just to be safe. :(

Deer Heart":2ifm0dzn said:
Could be the dreaded p-word too. Most sites say it starts with eye problems and hairloss around the eye long before they start sneezing.
Make sure he is removed from everyone else and quarantined just to be safe. :(

yep, he's in quarantine right now I hope it's not. but I'll check his eyes out in the morning and if it's not a turned eyelid then I'm not sure what to do? cull? or find some eye meds?

Try putting him in a cage with no hay. I would also flush his eyes with chamomile tea with a bit of raw honey added- twice a day to start, and see if that helps.

MamaSheepdog":2hv6o0ek said:
Try putting him in a cage with no hay. I would also flush his eyes with chamomile tea with a bit of raw honey added- twice a day to start, and see if that helps.

He's actually been in a hutch with no hay. I only just added it today.

Thanks! I'll try that!

Celice":295vic9i said:
He's actually been in a hutch with no hay. I only just added it today.

In that case, the hay is probably not an issue. The tea and honey wash is soothing and antibacterial, so hopefully it will help. :clover:

cataracts forming? I looked them up and they don't seem to be normally accompanied by so much gunk, so some sort of infection as well?

imajpm":27gnbkfh said:
cataracts forming? I looked them up and they don't seem to be normally accompanied by so much gunk, so some sort of infection as well?
Normally cataracts is involved when the specimine is older and includes large moles under the skin. Does this sound right?

Oscar":2kxbrvm1 said:
imajpm":2kxbrvm1 said:
Normally cataracts is involved when the specimine is older and includes large moles under the skin. Does this sound right?

Lemme see if I can find the article I read a while back. They were checking rabbits for hereditary cataracts.

Yeah here it is. Was showing up at 3 months of age in their rabbits. It's very distinct though, and they don't show any photos of the early stages. I don't know, never had them myself but those cloudy lenses in both eyes should be watched. It may be from the infection too I suppose but I just couldn't find anything that looked exactly like those eyes. Poor boy :(

http://www.raising-rabbits.com/autosoma ... rders.html

There are some white patches around the edge of that one eye in the first picture. That may just be the photo, if not then Pasteurella seems to show up in the eye in patches like that. Where that diffuse cloudiness is coming from..dunno.

any human eye ointment, is fine as is vet eye med, -- just so it is broad spectrum, [kills bacteria, and fungus , like pinkeye] the tube meds are also soothing as the thick consistency relieves irritation because it works as a lube] -- if it is a eye lash problem, gently pull the eyelash out where it belongs, once the infection is cleared up, regular applications of a product like optixcare "lubricant" will help relieve irritation.

In looking at the photos again, I notice that despite it being broad daylight, his eyes are completely dilated. I think that his symptoms match those for glaucoma, which I don't think you can treat at home. :(

Eye redness
Eye cloudiness
Abnormal ocular discharge
Disorientation
Stumbling over or bumping into normal objects
Behavioral changes associated with pain
Lethargy
Depression
Agitation
Lack of appetite (anorexia)
Bulging eyes (buphthalmia)
Large (dilated) pupils
Pawing at or rubbing the eyes or face
Aversion to being petted or touched on the face or around the eyes
Extreme sensitivity to or avoidance of bright or direct light (photosensitivity)
Squinting

http://www.petwave.com/Dogs/Health/Glau ... ptoms.aspx

UPDATE!

Yesterday, I've bathed him with baby shampoo and flushed his eyes and even gave him some eye drops. Today he seems better and his eye's clearer but I guess only time will tell if it did any good.

These pictures look exactly like what my Buck has going on. Please let me know if what you are doing works, and what other treatments you try. I have mine quarantined but am still nervous about it being something serious that could spread, and am not confident in the kids handling of the animals even tho I have explained in to them.....what kind of eye drops did you use? Do you know if pen g helps the dreaded p?

macksmom98":3bn3oibz said:
These pictures look exactly like what my Buck has going on. Please let me know if what you are doing works, and what other treatments you try. I have mine quarantined but am still nervous about it being something serious that could spread, and am not confident in the kids handling of the animals even tho I have explained in to them.....what kind of eye drops did you use? Do you know if pen g helps the dreaded p?

I don't think it's catchy. I had a doe with him for a while before I noticed his fur falling off and she never got anything from him. but I'll be posting more pictures of him as well and see if he gets better.

I am glad to hear that. I am getting that impression too, but kind of nervous about it. Mine did have some runny wet stuff around his eyes this morning......hate having these kinds of issues,
And I knew it was risky taking this guy in. I suppose it's good we can try to help him tho ;)

Latest posts

Back