Eye Infection

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nlmenton

Reaction score
Hi, can rabbits get pink eye? I have two rabbits with eye problems. The one started last month with a clear watery eye, and no other symptoms. Then two weeks ago the other rabbit started with a watery eye, but red around the rim and some pussing.

Thanks for any input and advice on best way to treat.

Naomi

Hi, can rabbits get pink eye? I have two rabbits with eye problems. The one started last month with a clear watery eye, and no other symptoms. Then two weeks ago the other rabbit started with a watery eye, but red around the rim and some pussing.

Thanks for any input and advice on best way to treat.

Naomi
In rabbits an eye infection is often known as conjunctivitis. You can start by using warm water/chamomile tea washes to clean and soothe the eyes. Use soft cloths, and treat each rabbit with a separate cloth and wash. Make sure to wash your hands afterwards (and don't rub your own eyes!).

Since they're both having problems, you should think about whether there's some sort of eye irritant that could be bothering them - windy conditions, dusty hay, etc.

If the washes don't seem to do the trick, Terramycin ointment will probably help. You can often find it in pet stores, sold for dogs and cats. I believe you can order it online as well.

1706089209853.png

Latest posts

Back