Eye colors

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John W

Reaction score
I have a litter of 5 Black Dutch rabbits that 4 have a blu and a brown eye the 5th has two brown eyes. They came out of a Black doe with two brown eyes and a Blue buck with two brown eyes. I was just curious as to the dif eye colors in the kits. Does the one blue eye tell me that they carry the Blue jean and may put out a blue baby?

Vienna marked rabbits often have brown eyes without hint of blue and can have simirlar markings like dutch. I think you have a Vienna who acts like a fake dutch :p

Dutch can have sky blue eyes just like Vienna carriers.

The 'blue' eye that indicates a dilute/blue rabbit is more of a browny or smokey grey and not a clear bright/white blue.

Dood":1p2wzrsu said:
Dutch can have sky blue eyes just like Vienna carriers.

The 'blue' eye that indicates a dilute/blue rabbit is more of a browny or smokey grey and not a clear bright/white blue.

I didn't know that about Dutch rabbits! :)

Dood is right, the "blue" eyes of a blue rabbit aren't light colored. They're very smokey.

Here's a picture of my sweet little blue doe, Breezy. It's a good shot of her eye. :)

Bluefour_zps3cbc7589.jpg

Blue eyes in Dutch is the most irritating thing ever.

I have a doe with a blue eye I only kept her because she had the best markings and type in the entire litter. I believe the Dutch gene and the vienna gene are somewhat related.

This is Etain as a baby. She currently is on a litter and so far only one appears to have a light coloured eye (it's no blue but it's not brown either.)
812555_10151498226233417_222288131_o.jpg

I know dilute rabbits, having diluted eye colors which is called "blue eyes" but i've never seen them as bright as blue, more of an greyish, smokey color so i don't count them as blue eyes.

I think it depends on what you define as "blue eye" if you want to call it like that, which can be confusing to some.

105CIMG3528.jpg

Wanted to say thanks for the pics! John has some of our oh-so-blue eyed kits on his phone, but after a lot of discussion, we've decided to terminate this line in our program. Had contemplated turning my inner mad scientist loose to try to figure out who's the carrier and then try to eradicate it...then I came to my senses and we are off next weekend in search of better rabbits. :pickuptruck:

Back