Extreme Egg Bound Hen

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-Man

Reaction score
There is another post about Double Yolk Eggs and problems causing it--- I thought I would add this one.

Have any of you ever had a Extreme Egg Bound Hen? I just put one down because I felt she was Egg bound and I opened her. If some of you want to be educated on this I have some Gross pictures of My Extreme Egg Bound Hen!

We are always looking for educational material, Fire-Man! Just note "GRAPHIC" in the thread title.

Please include what made you suspect this condition. :) I am very new to chickens, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I'm also curious what made you suspect this. My chickens are very aloof and I'm not sure I'd notice much was up unless it was very obvious.

With parrots if they get egg bound you must hit them with high humidy, very, very high. I used to set all 6 burners on my stove with boiling water full blast to increase humidy quickly. I'd move a smaller cage into the kitchen near the stove. Worked everytime, never lost a parrot to being eggbound.

Not sure if it works for chickens but it may help for next time.

Do Not Open These Links Unless You can Handle EXTREME GRAPHIC Pictures-----For educational purposes!!

I had 16 hens and one rooster in one of my chicken yards-----I never noticed any difference in how the hens acted since they started laying----they are about 11 months old. A couple weeks ago I noticed one hen was walking funny and not as fast as the others---she reminded me of a penguin. She was eating good----I picked her up and she seemed to weigh alot more than the other hens. Her abdomen was real tight and Large----I was thinking she is eating to much. The next day she was having more trouble walking so I put her in a cage and came to the computer to study egg bound. I thought maybe she could not lay a egg and was swollen. I tried the soaking in hot water and greasing the vent. The next morning she was acting worse and I felt she was in pain so I out her down. Then got my knife. This is what I found. AGAIN Very Graphic Pictures. Can effect your future scrambled Egg eating!!! WARNING!!!!
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w5/f ... 760de9.jpg
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w5/f ... a5f34b.jpg
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w5/f ... d4798d.jpg
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w5/f ... d5764a.jpg
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w5/f ... 2584f2.jpg

__________ Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:36 am __________

There was 16 whole, intact yolks, several busted shells----stacked and MANY busted yolks. How she lived for weeks with this happening inside her has me puzzled. All this happened inside the egg tube that goes to her vent!

Yup, the eggs can develop with no shell or even with it and then get stuck. Eventually they 'cook' in the hen. I lost a leghorn last week to an egg that broke in her. She was totally normal until one night, she just stopped being with the flock and hid in the shade. Drugs and oil didn't help get the left overs out and by then, infection got her, she was dead in the morning. =(

Have any of you guys butchered a rabbit or bird on a very hot day? The insides darn near steam! That's what the 3 rabbits I did this weekend felt like, I couldn't imagine how it felt like when they were alive. None showed heat stress in anyway, but showing stress is like showing pain, not allowed in the wild if you want to live. Point being that it's very easy for a hen to end up cooking her own eggs.

Was she a RIR? I try and avoid breeds meant to lay high volume and I don't try and force them to start laying again after a break or all year round. I think the break helps their bodies recover, laying eggs isn't natural for chickens these days.
I have two RIRs, one is 1-1.5yrs old, she's just gone broody, other is a little pullet still growing up. Have 5-6 hens all trying to suddenly hatch eggs! The RIR hasn't sat on eggs before, so I let her sit, but many of the others did it over winter or early spring, so I toss those girls out the coop. They had their break! The last hen isn't a breed that lays all that much, so she doesn't need a break and surely not when half the flock is doing it!

Hope your other girls are fine! I'd feel up the others to see if any could be heading in the same direction!

I don't think that type of egg bound is all that curable, probably rarely happens in parrots? I've only heard that they get one egg stuck, with the shell, which is easier to deal with than broken and/or cooked eggs. I'm sure most know eggs expand when cooked and sticks to w/e it was cooked in, makes things a lot worse.

ChickiesnBunnies":15wuc3m0 said:
Was she a RIR?
Hope your other girls are fine! I'd feel up the others to see if any could be heading in the same direction!

I don't think that type of egg bound is all that curable,

Yes she was a RIR. For about 25 years I have always had RIR. Never had this problem and all the other hens are fine.

No this type of Egg bound is not curable when it gets this far. The egg shells that busted in the beginning and others kept stacking inside the others were growing over with a meaty/skin type deal. She was "sealed" up completely.

For info-----all this was inside her tube----I had already sliced the tube open in the first picture----before taking pictures!

Wow....I am not squeamish AT ALL, but those pics made me want to :sick: I think that is a first for me.... :shock:

Latest posts

Back