Exodus

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, mama is spending part of her day playing goalie to keep kits in the box.

IMG_4210.JPG

Eventually, they settle down and curl back up together and go to sleep. What do I need to do for tonight in case some get out? Cover the cage floor with hay? Put a piece of 2x4 in front of the box like a step?

the bottom wire in your cage seems big for the kits so it might be safer to put hay down in the cage to keep their feet from falling through

I can't remember when she kindled but they look big enough to handle some cold. The temps here are bouncing around a lot but the kits that will be 3 weeks on Tuesday will have their nest box pulled. As they get bigger it's harder to keep the nestbox clean so I like to get it out as soon as feasible. If it gets cold and they seem to be huddling up a lot I give them a pile of hay under the doe's hanging bucket. I tried the suggested cardboard box but that didn't work so well for us.

Celice":1m6xfh72 said:
the bottom wire in your cage seems big for the kits so it might be safer to put hay down in the cage to keep their feet from falling through

Ok. It's half inch by one inch, so yeah, feet will probably go through. Good call. I have some really long, coarse hay that's perfect for the job.

Rainey":1m6xfh72 said:
I can't remember when she kindled but they look big enough to handle some cold. The temps here are bouncing around a lot...

They are two weeks old tomorrow. I was thinking next week that I would pry the bottom and front off the box and put some hay inside. That way momma still has the top to sit on and get away from them. Thanks for the advice and timeframe. It's so nice to get real time advice.

The floor wire looks like standard 1" x 1/2", so I don't think it's likely to be a problem. Kits do occasionally get stuck in it, but it's more of a freak accident thing than a common problem.

I don't see babysaver wire on the sides, so that could be an issue.

I would definitely put something in front of the box as a step. A brick will work better than a 2x4, because a piece of wood is too easily moved (and the doe might use it as a toy).

You can put a bunch of hay on the floor, just realize it will get soiled.

Rather than prying the box apart, you can just turn it on its side.

1/2" x 1" wire is standard. Very rarely does a kit's foot go through, and if they do, they usually can pull them out. I had one kit (out of many hundreds!) get stuck and had to cut the wire, and have heard about it happening a handful of times... but it is not common.

SoDak Thriver":1lc886ca said:
I was thinking next week that I would pry the bottom and front off the box and put some hay inside.

Hay always seems to just fall through the floor wire in my cages. I would leave the bottom on, and maybe cut the front in half and hinge it. I have BASS Sani-nests which have a hinged front, but the bedding eventually gets kicked out. I added wire to the front and plastic wall board so that the kits can easily hop in and out but the bedding stays in.

IMG_8052.JPG

Thanks, Miss M. Something about your post just made me realize that I could dig some used hay out of the nest box to make the front higher to scale.

I didn't even think about baby saver on the sides. <face palm>

If I turn the box on its side, it will be too close to the ceiling of the cage for her to get on top of. I made these with finishing nails so they're super easy to take apart and reassemble. :) <br /><br /> -- Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:20 pm -- <br /><br /> Mamasheepdog: is that bucket for the doe to retreat to?

SoDak Thriver":30x5bq6e said:
Mamasheepdog: is that bucket for the doe to retreat to?

Not specifically, but it does serve that purpose. It is somewhere for them to rest off of the wire and provides a snug place to get out of the wind. Oftentimes rain or snow will blow into the bunny barn, so this way only their faces get wet.

Bunny-Bucket tutorial:

post64270.html

When my wee ones start to venture from the nestbox, I take it out and add a 3-sided box (top, sides and back) and add some hay. It gives the kits a place they can get to easily, and it gives mom a place to get away.

You can see the box in this pic:

image.php

Mama: AWESOME tutorial! I'm going to do that for my seasonal cages. Perfect solution for a different problem I'm having.

Marinea: Your three sided box is pretty much what I will end up with after I modify my nest boxes. Glad to hear that works. <br /><br /> -- Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:14 am -- <br /><br /> Well, bummer. 3 got out of the nest last night, and couldn't figure out how to get back in. The were in a little pile in the corner. The two on top were very cold, but still moving. I added them back to the nest. Hopefully, they'll be ok. The one on the bottom didn't make it. I shall have to prepare better for tonight. As a family, we agree that we do not want to bring the box into the house, and instead want to learn how to help them cope in what should be survivable temps.

Oh no! Poor little guys.

Another option is to give them something else to huddle in. I don't use these much anymore, but I used to give my kits cat litter jugs after removing the nest. They served a dual purpose of giving the kits a snug refuge and also worked as "creep feeders" so I could supplement them without the mama being able to get to the feed. Now I have real creep feeders (from BASS equipment) and have changed cat litter brands, so don't have a constant supply of jugs anymore.

6836.jpg

Those jugs look like a neat idea! I have some opaque detergent jugs - it's a natural/biodegradable detergent, with very little scent. Could I use those if they are rinsed out really well? I've been hoarding them thinking that there has to be something I can use them for!

heritage":3ql0lobw said:
I have some opaque detergent jugs - it's a natural/biodegradable detergent, with very little scent. Could I use those if they are rinsed out really well?

I don't see why not! The cat litter was scented also. I mixed baking soda and water and shook the jugs, then let sit for a bit to remove the scent.

heritage":3ql0lobw said:
I've been hoarding them thinking that there has to be something I can use them for!

Yesterday I used up the last of some teriyaki marinade (for bunny belly flap jerky!) and rinsed out the little jug thinking I could use it for something. Then reason reasserted itself and I tossed it in the recycling- we have enough clutter as it is, lol!

-- Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:17 am --

Edited to add:

If you are going to use them as creep feeders, you will need to attach them to the cage or the does will flip them trying to get the treats inside. I drilled two holes in the sides of mine and zip tied to the cage wall.

MamaSheepdog":1fw0wxsb said:
heritage":1fw0wxsb said:
I have some opaque detergent jugs - it's a natural/biodegradable detergent, with very little scent. Could I use those if they are rinsed out really well?

I don't see why not! The cat litter was scented also. I mixed baking soda and water and shook the jugs, then let sit for a bit to remove the scent.

heritage":1fw0wxsb said:
I've been hoarding them thinking that there has to be something I can use them for!

Yesterday I used up the last of some teriyaki marinade (for bunny belly flap jerky!) and rinsed out the little jug thinking I could use it for something. Then reason reasserted itself and I tossed it in the recycling- we have enough clutter as it is, lol!

-- Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:17 am --

Edited to add:

If you are going to use them as creep feeders, you will need to attach them to the cage or the does will flip them trying to get the treats inside. I drilled two holes in the sides of mine and zip tied to the cage wall.

I really want/need to try out that jerkey! YUM!

I usually am pretty good to part with things for trash or recycling, but for some reason the detergent bottles seem too... nice? to get rid of. Super thick and sturdy, larger holding capacity, etc.

heritage":63wgd500 said:
I usually am pretty good to part with things for trash or recycling, but for some reason the detergent bottles seem too... nice? to get rid of. Super thick and sturdy, larger holding capacity, etc.

Believe me, I completely understand. We don't have trash pickup here- we have a "transfer station" to take our garbage to a few miles away- but the recycling I have to take into town. We only take it when we have amassed a whole bunch of it, so the jug will be safe in the "trash yard" for a while if I can figure out a use for it! ;)

all you really need to do for babies at that 10-18 day mark is tip the nest box on it's side. it smells like home to the babies so they huddle inside.

Latest posts

Back