Evil bunny

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randtrabbitry

Reaction score
So i think i meet my first truly pit bull rabbit lol. She is 4 months old and a cali x nzw. When i bought her the guy told me she not very social. That should have been a red flag. But when i picked her up she just snuggled into my arm. And i said o she will be fine. the first 2 weeks she just cowered in the back of the cage. Then i picked her up and put her in a different cage next to one of my other quarantine bunny to give her some company. Thats when her mean side came out she was trying to get the doe though the cage wall. After wait for a half hour or so and she was not cooling down from having a friend i reached in to grab her and she lunged at me. So after getting her back in her cage which i used a box to catch her and put her in her cage. I left her be. Every since then she lunges at me when i walk down the rows. Anyone need a Guard bunny? Im debating if i should cull now or breed her early and see if her personality changes for the good. Bad thing is i dont think her meat would be good cause i ivamac her 2 weeks ago.

In my experience, most aggressive rabbits are simply frightened. It sounds as though perhaps the move to the other cage upset her. I'd give her some more time. Do not attempt to handle her for the moment, just talk gently to her and perhaps feed her healthy treats through the wire. If she doesn't come around in time you can always butcher her later when her meat will be edible.

sometimes too it's just a matter of training them from you comes all manner of good things. :)

and some rabbits simply do NOT get along with other rabbits. For those rabbits, putting a divider between them and their neighbour gives piece of mind. Or persistence...in time she will STOP trying to pick a fight with her neighbour and will chill out.

She is cage territorial. She's saying "get out of my space". I had some bunnies like her. I got rid of them because I didn't want her harming children. They bite hard when they are like that, as I found out. I did breed one of mine though, and once the kits were hopping around in the cage with her, she didn't attack me anymore. Maybe being alone made the attacks worse. In your case you cannot put another doe in with her of course, but perhaps you could breed her and when the kits are weaned, keep one female with her as a cage roommate? Then it's not only her cage and she may not feel the need to keep others out of her space. Good luck.

btw, the baby bunnies in my avatar picture are from the one really mean bunny I was talking about. She may have been mean, but she sure did make beautiful babies. lol

I am of the opinion that:
Rabbits like any other animal will pick up on any fears one might have.
She [the Evil Rabbit] obviously placed that fear into you.
I believe we must [Shades of the Dog whisperer] be the Alfa Rabbit.
Never show your fear of the Rabbit, go in and with a firm hand and
press the rabbit to the ground/cage floor. Hold her there until she stops fighting.
This is what a Alfa rabbit/Doe would do to their "inferiors".
Wait 30 days for the Meds to leave her system. If she does not change her ways by that time.
You can then place her in the Fridge/Roaster. Or Breed her and see if that is her problem.
I had a Whit Satin Doe many years ago who was a Witch! Untill she was bred and had kits with her,
than she became a freaking Angel of mercy. Easy to handle you could touch the kits any time you want.
Of course this was before I figured out the it was I not she that was in control of the situation.
You ARE your rabbits "God" for all intents and purpose! You are the one who
supplies everything she needs/requires for a long and happy life.
You can also end that life if she does not learn how to carry herself correctly.
They usually come around with a little bit of persuasion.
Best of luck with your "Evil Rabbit".
Dennis, C.V.R. [Tongue in Cheek]

Thanks everyone. Ive been working with her and have got her to the point as long as nothing exited her you can pet her. But then if something happens in the cage next door or and thing her teeth come back out. Since she was 5 and a half month old i bred her just yesterday which she allowed the buck to mount and breed her 7 times at least. Wow that good for a newbie i think most newbies wont breed at first. Ive got a 6 month old newbie that shows alot of interest in the buck by mounting him but wont hold still for him. Been this way for a week. I gave up today and there living together today maybe tonight. I just dont want to see a fight if i leave them together to long.

I know it is not how it is usually done, but I put the doe in with the buck and keep an eye open. If him and her seem to be getting along, I leave her in there for 24 hours.<br /><br />__________ Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:35 pm __________<br /><br />I do keep a pretty good eye on them though, and check on them throughout the day. If I see any fighting, growling or fur, she goes home.

the concept of alpha with dogs is old fashion and with a prey animal is not likely to bring you much satisfaction ...

it depends on how much you want her how much work you might want to do .. winning them over by being the giver of all good things works for many many crazy rabbits - and I totally agree with Maggie that fear is often a root cause of what we see as mean .. they learn - lunge - people leave - it becomes very reinforcing
you may find she changes quite permanently now she's bred - we'll all cross our fingers :)

some rabbits require diligent handling to stay calm and laid back around people

Latest posts

Back