Everybody okay? March 2016 Flooding

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss M

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
RT members affected by this past week's rains -- how did y'all fare?

We did well. We got between 8 and 10 inches of rain in 4 days, but our land is high and drains well. We do have lots of rivers and streams around that are flooding, and we didn't go to the Bible class in the city or to the church in the country today, because a lot of the rivers were still rising as of yesterday. Some aren't even supposed to crest until Wednesday. The road the church is on was actually closed until sometime this morning, because one of the rivers had inundated the road.

There is a lot of flooding in our region. The lowlands about 10 miles away was like a sea. I know some of those homes got water in them. The river closest to us was some 10 feet above flood stage and still rising yesterday. There were lots of road closures and cows all huddled together because their pastures were largely under water. A larger town about 40 miles away had neighborhoods full of house islands, and some 2500 people had to be rescued because nobody expected the flooding to be that bad. It's worse than the most recent bad hurricane (Isaac), and possibly worse than the rather epic flood of 1983, which put 5 feet of water inside my best friend's house -- which was high enough up off the ground that you could walk under it.

I know we have at least one member who got even more rain than we did. :(

Oh -- and this picture may or may not have been taken in a town near us:

nessie.jpg

Doing well in South Texas, had a good amount of rain and some standing water still but not enough to slow us down.....take care!

macksmom98":1imp3tfh said:
Doing well in South Texas, had a good amount of rain and some standing water still but not enough to slow us down.....take care!

The same here in southeast Oklahoma. We got about 5" of rain all told but although a big soggy we're fine.

That's mean, Oscar! :lol:

We're sunny and slowly drying out today, thankfully. :happysun: Most of the roads are open again. We have laundry on the clothesline.

Very absorbent soil and the worst of it all went just east or just north of us most of this year so we're just squishy. Hoping it stops our bit of raining so the hiking trails dry out. We don't want to repeat the "year of lake Iowa". They still haven't replaced all the washed out bridges.

I haven't been here in while but for an update. I made it through just fine. I was lucky that most of the rain was either west or east of me. I am far enough a way from the major rivers that are causing all the flooding now. The Sabine river has caused I10 to be closed today. Very very lucky here.

I jinxed us we got a little rain last night while I was building my bookshelf rabbit hutch, but I had to power through it but when it got to the part where I had to put in the water bowl the door was too smal :? :roll: :)

We did good, not really any flooding thanks to three ponds on the property. A few trees got hit by lightening but no animals were lost fortunately. However about 4 miles away there was about 18+" of flooding so I was just out of the line of fire

akane":3249s7op said:
"year of lake Iowa"
Yeah, I've seen those pictures. :shock:

Random Rabbit":3249s7op said:
So glad You posted about this Miss M. I was wondering if You and Your family were alright.
Seems like the waters came up so fast in some areas.
Take care and stay safe!
Thanks, Random Rabbit! :)

The water did rise very fast. Thankfully, it's draining pretty fast, too. The lowlands look almost like nothing happened now. :cool:

Oscar":3249s7op said:
I jinxed us we got a little rain last night while I was building my bookshelf rabbit hutch, but I had to power through it but when it got to the part where I had to put in the water bowl the door was too smal :? :roll: :)
:lol: Serves you right for taunting us! :p

Beekeeper10":3249s7op said:
I haven't been here in while but for an update. I made it through just fine. I was lucky that most of the rain was either west or east of me. I am far enough a way from the major rivers that are causing all the flooding now. The Sabine river has caused I10 to be closed today. Very very lucky here.
Gearmpr":3249s7op said:
We did good, not really any flooding thanks to three ponds on the property. A few trees got hit by lightening but no animals were lost fortunately. However about 4 miles away there was about 18+" of flooding so I was just out of the line of fire
Glad y'all checked in, I was wondering how y'all did!

Miss M":35i2wr4p said:
akane":35i2wr4p said:
"year of lake Iowa"
Yeah, I've seen those pictures. :shock:

Random Rabbit":35i2wr4p said:
So glad You posted about this Miss M. I was wondering if You and Your family were alright.
Seems like the waters came up so fast in some areas.
Take care and stay safe!
Thanks, Random Rabbit! :)

The water did rise very fast. Thankfully, it's draining pretty fast, too. The lowlands look almost like nothing happened now. :cool:

Oscar":35i2wr4p said:
:lol: Serves you right for taunting us! :p

Beekeeper10":35i2wr4p said:
Gearmpr":35i2wr4p said:
Glad y'all checked in, I was wondering how y'all did!

I measured everything except that :oops:

Oscar":3ealt85a said:
Miss M":3ealt85a said:
Not really I had to squish the water bowl this way and that to get it in and then put the water in with a smaller bowl? :roll:

#1 - You are talented. Not only did you quote me using a word I never used in the thread, you quoted me using a word NO ONE used in the thread (it is possible to misattribute a quote if you hit the wrong "quote" button). I gotta hand it to you! :hooray:

#2 - Hey, it'll work until you need to wash the water bowl, right? :p

Latest posts

Back