Ever had a screw tail?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-HRanchito

Reaction score
Guess who's got one? Me! I guess I will have to pet out Amy Farrah Fowler :(

OR...I could use her to develop a line of pug-bunnies. :lilbunny:

Seems pretty rare. Anyone ever had one? Any idea if it's a painful condition at all?

Never had one nor even seen one. Sure would be nice to see a picture so I know what to watch for. (Hint, hint!)

I had a really smart-aleck response but this is a family forum. lol

I tried googling for images but couldn't find any

A screw tail is a tail that doesn't rest in the usual strait postion. I kind goes to one side or the other, doesnt realy hurt anything, if you aren't showing it wont matter . It can be heridtary, as a "spinal deformity", but can also be cause by a broken tail. :x

Not too big a deal, unless your showing....

Her tail is very very puffy, so taking a picture was really tough, which is probably why there aren't any decent pictures. It's hard to see, but the tail tip is curving around my finger. It's something you really have to feel for yourself. Totally feels screwy!

I do want to show my line at some point, so I don't want to be stuck with a whole ton of unshowable puggits.

I checked mom and her 6 full siblings, and all of them have nice, straight tails. I wish there was some way to tell for sure if it is genetic or just some kind of nestbox mishap. I like her cause I think she has a really nice topline (I'm no expert, feel free to add opinions, also still working on the posing skills)

Attachments

• screwtail.JPG
    screwtail.JPG
    407.9 KB · Views: 1,779
  • pose.JPG
    pose.JPG
    278.6 KB · Views: 1,779
Hmm... not very helpful. Too much fur, as you said! I do see how it is curving around your finger though.

I have been reading :reading1: some more since I saw you post, and I found quite a few places in my books that say it can also be curvy just like you are saying it is, and that, when that's the case its sort of like a rabbit scoliosis ? :hmm: :thinking: I wouldn't include him in a breeding program for show rabbits.
Maybe you can try to figure which of his parents are carriers of the gene and eliminate them from your breeding too??

When i had mini rex i had a buck with just a sideways screw tail and I found that his mother produced them, but not his father, so i ate her and never had another one.... lol

No knot that I can feel...it's all an even bend. and got an email from a SA breeder in Germany who had this as well! Maybe it runs in Satin Angoras. I also contacted the breeder -- had never seen it crop up in the line. :hmm: At this point I'll probably find her a pet home, but I can't afford to cull the entire family! I'd have nobody left!

If you find her a pet home, how do you know she wont get bred down the line somewhere?,During the years i had rabbits, i had dozens of people bring me thier unwanted pets.<br /><br />__________ Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:44 pm __________<br /><br />cant you just keep her for the fiber?

Back