Ever had a male get "stuck"?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just put two rabbits together again - both are young newbies and I had what I think was a successful breeding a couple weeks ago but since she was so young I put them together again to see what would happen. She grunted a little, but raised up for him. I went about with rabbit chores and next thing I know i hear a rabbit screaming! Thankfully I was right in front of the hutch so I look in (while the screaming is still going on) expecting the doe to be attacking him, but she's just sitting there and he flipped back and was curled up on his side with wide eyes behind her (had the screaming not been going on it would have looked like a fall off to me). He flips/flails backwards again and I see his parts flying around. I separated them and he was licking himself. I looked and about 1/2" was still out and was either bleeding or has broken blood vessels.

Could have have fallen off and gotten stuck in the process? Any other explanation? I don't think she got a quick bite in, but maybe so? I all but the initial moment the screaming started... she just didn't act like she was being aggressive. She looked about as relaxed as she could.

:shock:

Whawwoo. Is he all right now, or can you take pictures? Not that she kicked him...

Actually, I didn't know they really penetrate, I mean, sexing would be so much easier if there was something 1/2" long... :?

An old guy here told me that when the doe grunts and is very vocal whith the buck she is already bred. At least for my red shrew that was true, and she wasn't aggressive anymore.

Preitler":2atymy9q said:

Whawwoo. Is he all right now, or can you take pictures?

Actually, I didn't know they really penetrate, I mean, sexing would be so much easier if there was something 1/2" long... :?

An old guy here told me that when the doe grunts and is very vocal whith the buck she is already bred. At least for my red shrew that was true, and she wasn't aggressive anymore.

I can try and get pics...

The doe wasn't overly vocal, just a quiet grunt when they first interacted, and that was it. She wasn't aggressive at all and ended up raising for him so I am not sure what to think on her :?

Preitler":381ppztc said:

Whawwoo. Is he all right now, or can you take pictures? Not that she kicked him...

I can see how that works, but when I bred my 5 does for their first ever they gave my buck one hell of a cussing! :lol:

alforddm":1xoopocd said:
Maybe he missed? We had to sell a bull once that missed badly and messed himself up.

Hmmm... I hadn't considered that! Totally a possibility! <br /><br /> -- Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:04 pm -- <br /><br /> Here's the damage to him - the tip isn't really going back in at this point - maybe it's swollen??

And here's the damage to me :roll: Someday I will learn to put my thick flannel on, even when I am going out "really quick"... I lost a good shirt in the mix as well, darn it!

heritage":21ski64e said:
he flipped back and was curled up on his side with wide eyes behind her

I have bucks that do that. They stay down for a few seconds and then get up.

I also have the occasional screamer- it always surprise me when I see that it is a buck screaming, lol. But the screamer bucks generally scream every time, so once I know a buck is a screamer it doesn't surprise me after.

heritage":21ski64e said:
Here's the damage to him - the tip isn't really going back in at this point - maybe it's swollen??

You didn't happen to take a look at his parts before you bred him, did you?

It looks to me like he just burst some capillaries, and it doesn't look like any venereal disease that I have heard of. The skin itself looks undamaged.

The tip of his penis also looks fine.

Sometimes they just don't "put their goods away" right after. Just in case they might need it again, I suppose. :mrgreen:

That's why you don't leave rabbits together when they're breeding..
Looks like he got bit to me. I had a buck who ended up looking like that after being bit.

I am pretty sure there is quite a bit hidden in there when it comes time to put it to use. I was crouched under some cages once and got a pretty good eyeful when the buck was aiming a bit low :x

MamaSheepdog":3qislveb said:
heritage":3qislveb said:
he flipped back and was curled up on his side with wide eyes behind her

I have bucks that do that. They stay down for a few seconds and then get up.

I also have the occasional screamer- it always surprise me when I see that it is a buck screaming, lol. But the screamer bucks generally scream every time, so once I know a buck is a screamer it doesn't surprise me after.

heritage":3qislveb said:
Here's the damage to him - the tip isn't really going back in at this point - maybe it's swollen??

You didn't happen to take a look at his parts before you bred him, did you?

It looks to me like he just burst some capillaries, and it doesn't look like any venereal disease that I have heard of. The skin itself looks undamaged.

The tip of his penis also looks fine.

Sometimes they just don't "put their goods away" right after. Just in case they might need it again, I suppose. :mrgreen:

I did check him not that long ago when I did a thorough look over on the whole herd and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary so I don't think it's vent disease or anything. I am pretty sure the red splotches would have caught my eye :x . I can't say I have ever looked at them right after breeding though so maybe it isn't too far from normal?

As for the screaming, being that he's so young, maybe he didn't succeed like I thought he did the first time? There was definite residual fluid today when I checked him... I really hope he doesn't do that every time though! A bit unnerving, but I guess once you get used to it and expect it maybe it's not so bad?

CochinBrahmaLover":3qislveb said:
That's why you don't leave rabbits together when they're breeding..
Looks like he got bit to me. I had a buck who ended up looking like that after being bit.
You kind of have to leave them together at least for a little while. I mean, I was a foot away for about 5 seconds. I didn't leave them for hours on end to do their thing, ya know? I watch and see how things go to start out, then just keep an ear out. I just have the two hutches plus a few hanging cages maybe 10 feet away so I'm right there the whole time. It's not been an issue in the past - I do stay if there are any signs of aggression, but in this case there didn't appear to be. I really don't think it was a bite because normally if a doe is worked up you can see it in her eyes and in her breathing and she seemed very calm. I could be wrong though.

I think MSD hit the nail on the head.

I generally check my bucks after breeding(I find that some of them can get wool wrapped around themselves), and the red blotchy is quite often visible. It goes away after a day or two. Often it will be much worse than that on mine, when he's gotten a few fall offs.

Bad Habit":2qwyawt0 said:
I think MSD hit the nail on the head.

I generally check my bucks after breeding(I find that some of them can get wool wrapped around themselves), and the red blotchy is quite often visible. It goes away after a day or two. Often it will be much worse than that on mine, when he's gotten a few fall offs.

Huh... learn something new everyday! Out of total curiosity I am going to check my males the next time they breed!

I often check the buck after mating and it always looks bloodshot. Scared me first time I saw it, but it must be normal. Just more blood flow close to the surface after use.

Next time I breed some buns (which I should be doing NOW), I will be sure to check the boys before and after the deed is done.

What we really need to check is a virgin buck, though... this may just be an issue with first timers. :?

Preitler":27pvvapk said:

Just for an update - this little frisky guy is making it easy to see a bit more male rabbit anatomy... he has a good 2" flailing around - I have had to pull him out of the neighboring hutch of grow outs a time or two (the people that designed and built them have a 1.5" lip across the front and he can go between the two :roll: ) :oops: :lol:

Latest posts

Back