Ever eat a Silkie?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schipperkesue

Reaction score
I took my chickens in for processing today. On a whim I grabbed a young Silkie Cockerel to put in with the group. When the feathers came off, apparently he caused quite a stir at the processing plant. Now I need a recipe. Apparently these guys are prized in Asian cultures...I think the term 'aphrodisiac' was used. :p

Anyone ever eaten a Silkie?

Oops, forgot the picture!

2b6aedc527206f81bf6f3096ee4161c4.jpg

I'm contacted to help locals dispose of "things they raise that they don't really want to kill or eat" Silkie roosters show up on the menu from time to time since they don't always make nice pets. Tastes like chicken to me, but the color can be a bit intimidating.

It is possible to clean the skull so that the black color is still on the bone...looks pretty cool.

I've considered adding a few silkies to my flock this year JUST for the novelty of serving black chicken meat to guests for dinner sometime. Maybe for halloween? Lol. I think they are ugly as chickens, though... wouldn't keep them around.

Chicken meat is chicken meat. Regardless of the color. We've got the standard white broiler chicken meat here on our farm as well as black silkie meat and dark red rooster meat. :) <br /><br /> __________ Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:13 pm __________ <br /><br /> Oh and a 2 pound carcass is pretty darn good from a silkie!

Only thing that changes taste is diet. A free range may not taste the same as a cage raised on commercial feed. Much like raising rabbits the various ways. I both loved and disliked the free range eggs as well. Most of the year they tasted really good. In later fall they ate so much bugs the eggs literally tasted like grasshoppers. Do not ask how I know what grasshoppers taste like. I'm guessing it was the protein type getting passed on to the eggs. Had to feed those to the dogs or back to the chickens for a month.

My silkies are lucky that they're both cute and prolific egg layers, because they're also delicious!

I've eaten all the cockerels from the broods I've let them raise so far, and they're much like any well fed chicken in flavour. They don't really have black meat... some of the muscles are more of a purple, but a lot is just slightly darker meat than you'd expect from any chicken. The bones have a black veneer on them, and the skin is of course the dark grey/purple that we call black. There is no need to be squeamish about the colour differences, with the exception of the bones, they're not THAT different from any bird with dark meat.

The last batch I processed, I got 5lbs. of meat from 8 cockerels, only taking the legs and breasts. The carcasses didn't go to waste, a friend of ours has a lot of barn cats so we donated them for that purpose.

I raise white bearded silkies for show. The cull hens can often find homes, but people rarely want the Roos. Until you kill them.

So...no recipes? I was hoping for something befitting his Asian heritage!

Here is a young cockerel....not the one in the first picture!

9184883e88cbea7f24ed260b719d3cf7.jpg

Schipperkesue":bo5dixf1 said:
I raise white bearded silkies for show. The cull hens can often find homes, but people rarely want the Roos. Until you kill them.

So...no recipes? I was hoping for something befitting his Asian heritage!

Here is a young cockerel....not the one in the first picture!

9184883e88cbea7f24ed260b719d3cf7.jpg

Love that chicken. That is exactly what I'm getting if I get some chickens.

Hi :happy2:

If I were going to cook one I'd google for an Asian recipe.
I once ate a silkie cross that had dark everything but didn't enjoy it, though I like dark meat but couldn't extend it to black (dark purple:). Nice to see my PSO friends here :)

I haven't ever eaten one, but Colliepup's 11 year old friend has. He liked it. :)

I found some Asian recipes for you:

http://www.foodista.com/blog/2011/10/25 ... 4-recipes#

Take a look at the images of dressed Silkies that they have next to "regular" birds. The Silkies in the picture are much blacker than yours. I wonder if they were from birds with dark plumage and there is some variation in skin color versus the white or light colored birds? What color was your Silkie?

Depending on where you lve, there is a nice specialty market not only for Silkie meat, BUT for the actual feet of any poultry breed.

Latest posts

Back