English Spot

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damani

Reaction score
Hello I'm new to rabbit breeding for food and fur. I am waiting for Molly the Fawn Flemish Giant to grow up so I can breed her. I wanted to breed her to a good meat rabbit, like a Californian or a New Zealand, to get faster growing large rabbits for pelts and food.

I have a Californian buck, the one pictured.

I also have a 'satin' doe, that unbeknownst to me, was pregnant at 3 1/2 months and gave birth to 10 kits on August 12. I have no idea who the sire was. See the pic of her and her first litter.

I bred her to a younger Californian buck (see pic)and last Tuesday she gave 10 more kits. 3 of them are the classic English Spot coloration, but they are too young to determine the body conformation. They are all the same size.

I just butchered the last four rabbits from her first litter, all bucks, 1 pure white, was the heaviest at 3 1/2 months: 5 lbs. but the others were 4 lbs. or smaller. 2 were Himalayan markings (grey and black) and the other was one of two solid grey rabbits. The fur was uniformly long and silky--not very dense. The buck who sired this brood had nice longish fur, and had to be butchered because he broke his back.

Obviously, the Satin is a mutt, she came to me as very pale fawn color, and now is getting a greyish coat emerging in a strange pattern. My question is, would it be a waste of resources to try to breed the English Spot to the Flemish Giant?

I also have a breeding pair of Rex's which I want for the fur. I prefer solid colors and will be looking for ways to dye the fur, elsewhere. Whether I get spots or solids out of the Flemish Giant, I also thought of the temperament as pets. I've sold the balance of the first litter as pets and one to a breeder. :all-ears:

Welcome to the forum

Unfortunately your pics did not show up.

My question is, would it be a waste of resources to try to breed the English Spot to the Flemish Giant?
Yes, IMHO. They are both 'racy' breeds with more bone than muscle but any rabbit can be eaten, I've had 3lb mini lop :)

Flemish giants are great in the background of a meat rabbit; it gives the size. But the bone to meat ratio is high and the growth rate is slow. Personally, I wouldn't use a FG for meat rabbits, although they ARE in the background of the breeds I do have.

Back