Emotional support rabbits for Assisted Living

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mckatie

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday I brought 2 of the 5 week old kits to the assisted living.A frosted and a rew. I generally wait until the kits are 6 weeks. However, many of the elderly have difficult times after the holidays, or simply due to their mental state. After I visited a few of the staff and other residents in that wing whom had stopped in to say hello; the activities person asked if I could make one more stop. I have two "open" sessions coming up in the facility this weekend - one in the front section and the other in memory care. I was in the front section yesterday.

There was a woman upstairs that never came out, never talked. I had never seen her in any of my weekly visits. After a knock on the door,we were invited in. I introduced myself. A kit came out of the sewing basket that I had made a nest in. She struggled with words...lack of use and English not being her native language. She was hesitant to touch, but when she did there was this look of awe and delight on her face. The words slowly slipped out as she asked questions, petting the white bunny all awhile. I asked her if she would name the bunny as I had been unable to find a suitable one. She was surprised, pleased and then thoughtful in turn. She named the white kit Daisy. After I thanked her, the words started coming out faster as she sat there petting Daisy. You could see the light in her eyes, her face brightening. We brought out the frosty, more pictures were taken. She was so animated and happy. After we left the room the woman who did the activities and one on ones thanked me with tears in her eyes. Never had she seen the resident so animated.

I only have a window of a few weeks before the rabbits get too big... and then I sell them. I need a new halter for one of my 3.5 month olds so he can go again. Fortunately, I have another litter a month younger coming behind. I had thought to buy a mini this summer. Any suggestions?

Does anyone else bring rabbits to facilities ? Anyone have a favorite halter brand? Teach their rabbit agility? We have quite a few assisted living facilities here. I feel they could all use a bunny visit.

Not all animals are suited for this work. If you have a good one, keep it if you want to continue this work.
And yes find a bunny that is easy to handle weight wise (about 4-6 pounds) when adult and preferrably hypoallergenic like rex coats. Not to small and easily squashed and not to big/heavy to pick up/hold.
Bunny that likes being petted, touched, handled needs to not get confused by what the patients do. So maybe look into 2-4 animals, half to be cuddled with and others that do tricks/shows with you for entertainment. Some people may not want to touch, but something cute doing something cute or funny or clever to laugh at helps too.

What a fantastic idea! I love it! I think I will do that myself - thank you for opening my eyes to a super opportunity. I can't think of any 5-8 wk old rabbits that would have a problem being held. At least all mine love it. I would like to use my Maltese as a visiting dog, but she gets too excited. I'd have to do a lot of work with her. The RABBITS however are perfect!

Thank you for posting this! again, what a GREAT IDEA!

Liz

Not all animals are suited for this work. If you have a good one, keep it if you want to continue this work.
And yes find a bunny that is easy to handle weight wise (about 4-6 pounds) when adult and preferrably hypoallergenic like rex coats. Not to small and easily squashed and not to big/heavy to pick up/hold.
Bunny that likes being petted, touched, handled needs to not get confused by what the patients do. So maybe look into 2-4 animals, half to be cuddled with and others that do tricks/shows with you for entertainment. Some people may not want to touch, but something cute doing something cute or funny or clever to laugh at helps too.
I have a trio of rex rabbits so adding mini rex could be a great addition. Both of my females have gone to the facility when they were younger. Blondie grew up to be a witch ; while Chai is always sweet and friendly. Te just arrived a week ago, but he is gentle and loves to be cuddled so I'm taking him this weekend. My buck CC is very easy to handle all the time. As are the other boys. They just need to be smaller. Although Ruby would be the one to train for agility. He's very friendly, funny, sassy.....

I agree with your what you are saying. I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts. Thank you.

What a fantastic idea! I love it! I think I will do that myself - thank you for opening my eyes to a super opportunity. I can't think of any 5-8 wk old rabbits that would have a problem being held. At least all mine love it. I would like to use my Maltese as a visiting dog, but she gets too excited. I'd have to do a lot of work with her. The RABBITS however are perfect!

Thank you for posting this! again, what a GREAT IDEA!

Liz
I am so happy to make a ripple! I have been going to the one facility for years. With big dogs (that grew up but never out of their shyness), my old Scottie and the rabbits. The residents adore them and ask about them all the time. I generally go on Sundays in the mornings, and then again after lunch because it is quieter and Bingo doesn't start until 2:30... My babies appear to be fine with being held. When they get bigger they just stay in their basket. I bring a thick towel to cover laps, and always keep their nails trimmed. I hope you give it a try and have a fabulous time! Let me know how your adventure turns out!

I am so happy to make a ripple! I have been going to the one facility for years. With big dogs (that grew up but never out of their shyness), my old Scottie and the rabbits. The residents adore them and ask about them all the time. I generally go on Sundays in the mornings, and then again after lunch because it is quieter and Bingo doesn't start until 2:30... My babies appear to be fine with being held. When they get bigger they just stay in their basket. I bring a thick towel to cover laps, and always keep their nails trimmed. I hope you give it a try and have a fabulous time! Let me know how your adventure turns out!
Well, it's funny, now that you mention your adult rabbits, I have Hershey, a giant boy that LOVES to be loved up. He is a total sweetie, I think if I got him used to traveling, he would be great. Don't think I'd let anyone hold him, he could disembowel an old person LOL his feet are tremendous. He is about 12 lbs.

230806-Aug-06_168.jpg

(he's not a lop, he's just super laid-back & lazy, he can hold his ears up, but they're HUGE) Being hi the house was heavenly for him LOL

Thanks for the encouragement!

Yesterday I brought 2 of the 5 week old kits to the assisted living.A frosted and a rew. I generally wait until the kits are 6 weeks. However, many of the elderly have difficult times after the holidays, or simply due to their mental state.
This is beautiful.

I wonder what would happen here Currently, our vets won't even allow owners back with animals because the fear of covid is back in force around here. I haven't tried any assisted living areas.

We have visited older church members at home with bunnies while the weather was cold and they weren't getting out much. We should do this more often. Thanks for the idea!

T
Yesterday I brought 2 of the 5 week old kits to the assisted living.A frosted and a rew. I generally wait until the kits are 6 weeks. However, many of the elderly have difficult times after the holidays, or simply due to their mental state. After I visited a few of the staff and other residents in that wing whom had stopped in to say hello; the activities person asked if I could make one more stop. I have two "open" sessions coming up in the facility this weekend - one in the front section and the other in memory care. I was in the front section yesterday.

There was a woman upstairs that never came out, never talked. I had never seen her in any of my weekly visits. After a knock on the door,we were invited in. I introduced myself. A kit came out of the sewing basket that I had made a nest in. She struggled with words...lack of use and English not being her native language. She was hesitant to touch, but when she did there was this look of awe and delight on her face. The words slowly slipped out as she asked questions, petting the white bunny all awhile. I asked her if she would name the bunny as I had been unable to find a suitable one. She was surprised, pleased and then thoughtful in turn. She named the white kit Daisy. After I thanked her, the words started coming out faster as she sat there petting Daisy. You could see the light in her eyes, her face brightening. We brought out the frosty, more pictures were taken. She was so animated and happy. After we left the room the woman who did the activities and one on ones thanked me with tears in her eyes. Never had she seen the resident so animated.

I only have a window of a few weeks before the rabbits get too big... and then I sell them. I need a new halter for one of my 3.5 month olds so he can go again. Fortunately, I have another litter a month younger coming behind. I had thought to buy a mini this summer. Any suggestions?

Does anyone else bring rabbits to facilities ? Anyone have a favorite halter brand? Teach their rabbit agility? We have quite a few assisted living facilities here. I feel they could all use a bunny visit.
Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful story! I always thought rabbits were magical!

This is beautiful.

I wonder what would happen here Currently, our vets won't even allow owners back with animals because the fear of covid is back in force around here. I haven't tried any assisted living areas.

We have visited older church members at home with bunnies while the weather was cold and they weren't getting out much. We should do this more often. Thanks for the idea!
I'm happy that you are out there making a difference! Bunnies offer so much with their gentle nature, quiet demeanor and soft fur. I know the elderly in your church have enjoyed your visits very much!

The virus changed the world forever. We had a wing in lock down here. I am still able to go and visit others fortunately. Then one day a year all the animals are invited - horses, pigs, sheep, etc. Depending on my schedule, I often make an impromptu visit during the week. I know that no matter how many times I go, the residents never get tired of seeing the bunnies. Some of the residents never go out except to the Dr.s. The truth is that these visits are also beneficial for me as well.

Latest posts

Back