emergency feed advice needed

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pastelsummer

Reaction score
the people who hired dh to drive for them for awhile (he hires on as a contract worker) were supposed to pay him 2 weeks ago well here it is now and i am OUT of rabbit pellets and have 2 pregnant does that NEED food So can anyone tell me of anything besides hay that i can feed them they get hay but i want to make sure they get enough feed in them to keep these pregnancies going pne is due around the 8th the other a week later

That is a problem,
it there a chance you can borrow from another close by breeder?
The only thing I could suggest is: Rolled Oats, and any
sugar-free cereals which are basically a grain product.
Cheerios, Mini-Wheat's, Wheat Checks, things like that.
You could check the boxes for information on fats and proteins etc.
They might help for the short term. Hopefully you may have
a few of these products already in your possession.
I hope you get through this before too long.
Best of luck, I have been there when supplier was out of feed.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

ouch I sencond oats as a feed scource, It actually works pretty good for those times when you are tight on money and feed.

It used to be common practice (in pre-pellet days) to feed nursing does dry bread soaked with milk. You could try feeding them small amounts of that and if there are no problems, increase the amounts. It is sudden changes that can cause problems... another time don't wait until you are out of pellets before phasing new foods in. Making sure the does have free-choice hay will help head off problems, so don't worry too much.

Rolled oats are excellent... by all means feed those if you can. Root crops such as carrots and beets (and their tops if any) will help too. The key is moderation... a piece of beet or carrot, not a whole huge one, because of the sugar content. If your rabbits have been accustomed to treats of greens and vegetables, you will be in a better position to make these changes. Cabbbage and rutabagas can also be fed, but they can be gassy so use extreme caution (or skip them in favour of the other things I have mentioned).

Tree branches with the bark on will help too. Willow, apple, elm, poplar, aspen, pear or ash are all safe. Mulberry is also excellent. Most of the nutrition is in the leaves but the bark and buds have some too and will help get your rabbits through this tough time.

Good luck... and let us know how they are doing.

i will try those things i am so frustrated i feel like a bad fur mama A quick question my dh suggested giving them some chicken feed i have layers crumbles and scratch grains could use that?

I would NOT use the layer crumbles.

Small amounts of scratch grain, assuming it has no additives meant for chickens, would be okay. I used to feed scratch as the grain portion of my rabbits' diet. It was simply a mixture of oats, barley and cracked corn.

I wouldn't touch anything marketed to be chicken food. A bag of oats or barley will be less than $10. I use steel cut barley.

ok thank you all for the info my sister mil lives in a trailer we own on a rent as you can basis and she could afford rent this month!!! so i used it to get animal feed for all the animals. But iam going to print this out when i get my computer and keep it for reference!

So sorry this is happening. Wish I had advice to give but it sounds like the wonderful & knowledgeable members of this forum have already steered you in the right direction. I will keep my fingers crossed that your pregnant does arent affected. Best of luck to you!

Only thing I would advise; if you have several kinds of hay, use clover or alfalfa if you have it. A rabbit whom has been feed good pellets would have no trouble living off of alfalfa hay for a substantial period. Oats, wheat, barley would also be good additives. If push comes to shove, you probably have rolled oats or pearled barley in you cupboard. A good legume hay, however, would go farther than anything in supplying them the nutrients they need. It is the only thing that really has enough protein that you might have on hand. (there are several greens, that might have enough, you are not likely to have them this time of year, and unless your rabbits were used to a lot of greens, it would be more dangerous than just hay) If you have alfalfa hay, a tablespoon of grains, each, would be plenty.

Ask if they have rolled oats at the feed store. That and barley will work pretty well for tying them over thru what has to be a very difficult circumstance.

I feel for you on this one. When you get the chance, get a large galvanized metal can with a lid, and buy extra feed when you get it. That normally will help you thru times like this.

i have a garbage can like you use outside that i keep full most of the time, and i got a single bag that will last me a couple weeks, I think my chickens got into it is why it went so fast. But i am going to be buying some extra bags asap and keep rotating them out. I have an old freezer that quit but is still air tight that i will be storeing extra bags of feed, somedays it seems like we take2 steps forward and make 3 steps back. Maybe if i try to go backwards i will get somewhere?

Do not purchase more feed than you can use within three months.
Rabbit feed loses its nutritional value after three months.
If you can create smaller packages of feed they can be stored in a "working" freezer.
This will allow you a longer storage value while retaining the nutritional value of that feed.
I hope this helps.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Don't feel bad about it wild rabbits have to scrounge too.

Somewhere on the site is a list of plant and twigs and bark that they can eat.

Baked potatoes with milk --last resort.

Toast and milk is actually a decent snack for the does. Find a farmer nearby and sometimes they will give a little neighborly credit to help you feed your animals. Hay is cheap $3.00 and could get you through a few days. A good farmer may let you have a few bales until you get back on your feet.

A feed store or rural walmart usually have 50# bags of feed (rabbit) for less than 15

Latest posts

Back