Embarrassing moment

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

downonthefarm

Reaction score
I took my daughter to a rabbit show yesterday. She brought one of her juniors that has been to one other show. When the judge checked the teeth, the rabbit screamed like the judge was killing her & she didn't stop until he put her back in the box. Every time he went to check her again, she started screaming. Needless to say, she placed last in her class. Her antics drew a very large crowd and my daughter wanted to hide under the table.

I checked the doe at home this morning, and she's fine. I don't think there was anything wrong with her other than being scared to death.

Poor thing (your daughter & the screaming lil' bun)! Never heard a rabbit scream in my life... if I did I think it would scare me to pieces!

Rabbit screams ARE scary-- and when they open their moth to scream-- TEETH!!!! BIG ONES!!!

Poor kid- I feel for her. Guess it's time to 'socialize' that rabbit a bit more... get a bunch of people (friends, family, visitors) touching the bun= it may have decided at the first show it didn't like being handled by 'strangers'

tomcatrabbitry":kevt141q said:
LOL

Did she scream at the other show too?

No, she was fine at the other show.

__________ Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:01 pm __________

Pickles":kevt141q said:
Never heard a rabbit scream in my life...

At first, we thought she had kicked and broken her back. Unfortunately, we've heard that scream before. After we realized what was going on, it was hilarious. The judge would reach for her in the box and she'd let out another scream. He just gave up and handed her to my daughter.

__________ Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:09 pm __________

Frosted Rabbits":kevt141q said:
Guess it's time to 'socialize' that rabbit a bit more...

This doe definitely needs hands on time with strangers. We'll also tote her along to shows so that she gets used to the show atmosphere. She won't be shown for awhile though until we think she's ready. Stacy doesn't want to go through that again. :oops: I'm sure it wasn't fun for the doe either.

oh... i just hooted! (so did hubby when I read him the tale).

we've had screamers before...it's not fun to hear when it means death...but when it's a baby bunny startle it just means... Silly bunny... relax. Let me hold you and touch you more. It makes us laugh and brings the lad in with "can I hold the talker mommy? Can I hold him now?". he likes the talkers as it means he gets to play with them all the more.

I have one that "sings'
I mean she screams like crazy but it gets to the point where it's almost musical
Now if only I could get the damn mite problem finally KILLED, I wouldn't have to dip her, but she is in good condition and not restrained, I guess she has gotten to the point where she doesn't like baths...

:rotfl: oh golly that's funny :razz: sorry, but golly. :D Your poor daughter! "yes, well, here's your rabbit back..what's that you say? I can't hear you for the screaming..."

I think we have one in the nestbox (well, he's 4weeks now) who's going to be a screamer. EVERYtime I walk into the pen AAAAAAAAAAEEEEEEEEEEEE@!!!!!!

sigh

I've only once heard a rabbit scream. Alice's Lonely Only was not doing well at three weeks and so we brought him up to the house for a little extra attention. He seemed fine... until I decided to stroke his ears. Screamed the place down and practically climbed the side of the cage. Oops. :oops: You don't like to be patted... That's okay, guy, sorry about that!

He did calm down after a day or two and hasn't screamed since. But it was unnerving.

That's pretty funny! Reminds me of my first rabbit show. It was sanctioned but just a small youth show. Every time I put my Polish doe in the box she would jump out of the box and up on my coat. The judge was very nice about it. I think he could tell we were both new to this.

a lot of my rabbits screamed when they were tattooed (with a clamp). occasionally i'll here bunny screams at shows and all the rabbits perk up their ears and start freaking out. not fun, and its a pretty creepy sound.

I was out in the barn comparing buns, and the doe really wanted to jump off the table. She took a leap and I caught her by the legs, and she sure surprised me with that scream. Drama queen. These buns have been to school with me and handled by all of the teachers. I don't want a doe with temperament issues, besides she sits crooked. I'll try again, if she does it tomorrow, then she'll be a cull.

Oops. :oops: You don't like to be patted... That's okay, guy, sorry about that!

If they scream we pet them more until you can go do whatever and they don't care. We rub ears, bend ears down, straighten ears up, pick up feet, turn upside down, make "bunny balls" where we see how round they can get... All of the creme d'argent kits start out as screamers for some reason and the ones we have time for by the time we are done just flop in your hands. The dog gets more upset strangers are handling them than the rabbits. Same with lactating does. You don't want your kits handled ok I'm gonna sit here and take each one out and play with it and then put it back while you watch until you realize they all return unharmed.

There's respecting the animal and there's catering to them. If you cater to them you get a bunch of animals with special needs that everyone has to watch out for or things go wrong. Having worked with big livestock and big dogs all my life I respect their likes and dislikes but I don't cater to them. Today I need to touch your feet. You don't like it then tough. We'll sit here until you learn to tolerate it when needed and I'll try to only do it when needed.

my husband and I had never heard a rabbit scream. we came home from work one day to see a wild rabbit in the barnyard. only it wasn't. it was our Flemish Giant buck! we ended up tempting him to us with carrots. when my 130 lb hubby picked up my 20 lb rabbit, it screamed like a girl on a roller coaster ride...
then hubby screeched......and they both started thrashing and wrestling each
other... and the rabbit pretty much won. afterwards I laughed my head off.

boundarybunnyco":2cosr4r7 said:
my husband and I had never heard a rabbit scream. we came home from work one day to see a wild rabbit in the barnyard. only it wasn't. it was our Flemish Giant buck! we ended up tempting him to us with carrots. when my 130 lb hubby picked up my 20 lb rabbit, it screamed like a girl on a roller coaster ride...
then hubby screeched......and they both started thrashing and wrestling each
other... and the rabbit pretty much won. afterwards I laughed my head off.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sounds like its time for rides to the store. I started doing that with kids I plan to show later on and they seem to handle stress better. I don't have problems with my rabbits going off feed or not wanting to eat after a show either (and most of the shows I go to are 4+ hrs away when I get to go). Now 'seasoned show' rabbits I've purchased are another thing...ugh is all I can say on some of them being less then cooperative when they get home.

My daughter and I tattooed about 30 rabbits the other day, mostly babies up to about 9 weeks old. I used the clamp to make it fast, and 4 of them screamed! That was a first! We noticed they usually screamed because I clamped a vein. :oops:

Certain smells will trigger a rabbit to freak out and/or scream.
My HL will scream if I handle bucks or aggressive does before I handle her. She smells the others and looses it, she thinks its a rabbit attacking her.

Latest posts

Back