Edited: I think we're about to lose her =(

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Her lump is still there. It's bigger that it was before. The boyfriend thinks it looks like a leaking varicose vein/hemorrhoid.

It doesn't seem to hurt her, though. I don't know what to do. She's definitely panting and breathing too quickly, but judging by her behavior (hopping from my lap to the back of the couch to daughter's lap and back again) she's not scared.

And she's trying to eat EVERYTHING...

I think your boyfriend is probably right- I noticed a bluish tint to the lump. Vitamin K helps the blood to coagulate- many bunny safe foods contain high levels of vitamin K:

#1: Herbs (Dried and Fresh)
Long used for medicinal purposes, herbs are packed with nutrients and vitamin K is no exception. Dried Basil, Dried Sage, and Dried Thyme all contain the most with 1715μg (2143% DV) per 100g serving, or up to 51μg (64% DV) per tablespoon. They are followed by Fresh Parsley (82% DV per tblsp), Dried Coriander, Dried Marjoram, Dried Oregano, and finally fresh basil with 10μg (13% DV) per tablespoon.

#2: Dark Leafy Greens
Crisp, fresh, and delicious, dark leafy greens are great in a salad or steamed as a side. As a bonus they are also high in calcium. Kale provides the most vitamin K with 882μg (1103% DV) per 100g serving, or 547μg (684% DV) per cup chopped. It is followed by Dandelion Greens (535% DV per cup chopped), Collards, Cress, Spinach, Turnip Greens, Mustard Greens, Beet Greens, Swiss Chard, Broccoli Raab, Radicchio, and finally Lettuce with 62.5μg (78% DV) per cup shredded.

#4: Brussels Sprouts
A delicious side or snack, and reputed for being able to prevent a hang over, brussel sprouts are packed with Vitamin K. 100 grams will provide 194μg (242% DV) of vitamin K, that is 156μg (195% DV) per cup, and 33.6μg (42% DV) of vitamin K in a single brussel sprout.
Click to see complete nutrition facts.

#5: Broccoli
Vitamin K is just another reason to eat everyone's favorite vegetable. Broccoli contains 141μg (176% DV) of vitamin K per 100g serving, that is 220μg (276% DV) per cup, and 52μg (65% DV) in an average spear, or piece, of brocolli.

#8: Cabbage
Eaten cooked or in coleslaw, cabbage provides 76μg (95% DV) of vitamin K per 100 gram serving which is 68μg (85% DV) per cup chopped, and 690μg (830% DV) in a 5(3/4)inch head of lettuce.
Click to see complete nutrition facts.

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/artic ... amin-k.php

Be cautious feeding brassicas (broccoli, kale, mustard greens, cabbage, etc.) because they can cause gas. If she is accustomed to them already, she should be fine.

Also cross reference the herbs for medicinal uses- some may affect her milk or cause contractions.

http://www.anniesremedy.com/chart.php

Thanks, MSD. I'm still not convinced she's pregnant. As far along as she would be (couldn't be any LESS than 28/29 days), I should be able to feel something. I know palpation is an art, but I've felt her belly a dozen times, gone deeper and higher than I thought I should, and still nothing but squish.

Assuming it's a varicosity, what would give her that, a swollen & empty belly, and panting?

I can't keep her in the quarantine cage for much longer. It's way too small for her. I'm contemplating moving my turkeys from their brooder into a rubbermaid bin, cleaning the brooder and putting her in there with some bedding. At least she'd have more room to be comfortable while I figure out what ails her.<br /><br />__________ Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:47 am __________<br /><br />Oh boy. I just found this.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_di ... ndo_en.htm

Pyometra often relates to the presence of Pasteurella multocida. It leads to the formation of abscesses in the ovaries. The uterus is dilated, and generally filled with pus. Acute infections are often accompanied by a vaginal discharge. Both breeding and virgin does can be affected. Three possible ways of transmission are possible:
• retrograde transmission from the nasal cavity to the genital area during coprophagy, by a female rabbit infected by P. multocida,
• transmission during the kindling (birth) procedure,
• venereal transmission, when an infected female mates with an uninfected male rabbit, or vice-versa.
In males, the testicles and epididymis are often swollen during the acute phase of the infection; in a later stage, external or internal abscesses appear in the testicle. In rare cases, the infection limits itself to the membrane covering the penis, a condition called balanoposthitis. The membrane is inflamed, and covered with pus. The infection can be transmitted to female rabbits, during attempts to mount or copulate

This would explain pretty much everything, considering her brother (whom she was housed with when we thought he was a she)...

RJSchaefer":4iowl4io said:
Thanks, MSD. I'm still not convinced she's pregnant. As far along as she would be (couldn't be any LESS than 28/29 days), I should be able to feel something.

You're welcome. :)

Actually, I think palpation is easier in the 9-14 day range. I have also tried palpating in the days before delivery and felt nothing, yet had them deliver kits anyway. I have also successfully felt kits, but more often than not I haven't.

Assuming it's a varicosity, what would give her that, a swollen & empty belly, and panting?

I'm not sure.

Maybe she has been straining to pass a blockage- could be a hairball or some other indigestible item. You can give her a couple cc's of mineral oil by mouth, and even rectally (use a rubber bulb syringe) to lubricate the possible blockage. It wont hurt her if there is nothing there, but it will make her messy.

The swelling of the belly could be due to gas or more significantly internal hemorrhage or sepsis- but her voracious appetite indicates that is not the case.

Try giving her simethicone drops or Gas-X strips for gas.

Usually with a blockage or gas they will sit in a hunched position. You had not mentioned that she has been doing that, but neither of the above treatments will harm her.

The panting could be due to the heat or stress caused by discomfort.

I can't keep her in the quarantine cage for much longer.

I doubt she has a contagious condition, and if she does the colony has been exposed in any case. Is there a way you could section off a portion of it and keep her in there? To be safe and to minimize cross contamination, you could put a solid barrier between her and the other rabbits.

Considering I'm leaning toward pyometra now, I can't risk putting her back in the colony. Not necessarily contagious if contained, but if she does have it and begins discharging, then she's leaking pasteurella all over the place.

I have to find my baby butt thermometer and take her temp. I couldn't find diagnostic data for rabbits, but it does raise core body temps in dogs.

If she has pyo, you are absolutely right. I would think you would be able to feel her engorged uterus though.

That requires me to know what a non-engorged uterus feels like. :lol: Guess I'd better put on a thick long sleeved shirt and go feel her up some more. And take her temp.

If it's the rabbit version of a hemorrhoid, would it be safe to use witch hazel on it?

We culled. She had no meat on her body. 8 kits and one badly twisted and hardening uterus. I'm going to make another thread with graphic in the subject line.

Here are the images. Graphic, click at your own risk. post167731.html#p167731

So sorry RJ. You made a tough decision, but one for the best for your other buns.

(hugs)

Back