Easter Bunnies

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll start by saying I am not a big fan of Easter sales- too many impulse buys that end up discarded shortly afterwards.

Having said that, Easter is April 5, 2015, so I would breed the first of January for eight week old kits at the beginning of April.

I almost always have bunnies/Rabbits available.
I do not breed for "Easter Bunnies". It is not in mine
or the best interest of the rabbits.
Long ago, when I first got involved with rabbits,
I thought that breeding for Easter would be of great value.
I was WRONG! Breeding with Easter sales in mind is most likely
to leave you with a whole lot of rabbits that will have to be sold
to the meat processor. Don't believe everything you are told,
trust no one! Trust only your own judgement when it comes to
breeding for a specific reason/holiday.
Every rabbit that you produce, you are responsible for.
Do what is best for you and your herd,but be prepared for
a production mistake. As always, JMPO.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

I understand what is being said. I know a lot of people here raise rabbits for their own pets or to show and I understand this. I am not trying to be mean or rude in any way. I have 2 dogs for pets that I feel strongly about.

To me my rabbits are for food just like any live stock on the farm.

My thoughts are to be sure I have some available for Easter to sell as a way of recouping some of the cost involved in raising rabbits. Any rabbits not sold will become freezer stock to eat or be sold for food.

I hope I am not coming across as a heartless mean person on this.
I was raised in the country where live stock is for food and or income.

My rabbitry is supported mostly by my Easter activities. I stockpile the money, have enough for about six month's feed and usually enough left over to do some upgrading around the rabbitry.

I have 4 litters I am expecting mid-month. Some I will sell when they are ready, others will be kept back for Easter Photographer rentals - 2 rabbits, a cage and all the supplies for 3 days for $50. I keep back only the best that has a potential to be sold/kept as breeding stock when the rentals are over or I pull them from the string.

I usually have a litter or two that's ready around Easter. I close purchases about a week before the actual holiday, and talk extensively with people to ensure that they are completely prepared for a rabbit as a pet and not just doing it as a novelty. A lot of people are prepared for a rabbit, and simply wait to time it at Easter time. I do turn a number of people away - I know they end up going and getting a rabbit elsewhere, but it makes me feel better that they're not getting one of MY rabbits.

The big concern with Easter sales is that people are getting the rabbit as an impulse buy, and that it will eventually be neglected.

Now... "neglected" in many people's eyes means that it will just be sitting around in a cage in someone's back yard. As long as the rabbit is kept clean and is getting adequate food and water, that does not constitute neglect in my eyes. My rabbits live much the same life, although they do all have toys and get regular nail trims, etc.

One big fear of many breeders is of the rabbit just being "set free" or being moved from home to home if and when they tire of it. But you can easily solve that problem by offering to take back any rabbit sold if it doesn't work out for the buyer.

Not everyone that buys a rabbit for Easter is a flake, of course. I myself bought a mini Rex (and chicks!) for my kids for Easter when they were little, and she lived a very nice life in a large aviary.

craneman54":29oodkpt said:
To me my rabbits are for food just like any live stock on the farm.

As mentioned on another thread,

what-are-your-policies-for-taking-back-bunnies-t23216.html

"They will be raising your meat for you." Think of it as a long (or short!) term "bunny rental" instead. Many breeders require that the cage be included with the rabbit, since most don't have empty holes just sitting around.

Back