Earwigs and pellets.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3309

Reaction score
Tonight I went to check on Gus who started having intestinal problems Friday, I found multiple earwigs in the pellet dish! Not only they are found in one section, a different cage has the same problem!
The only connection the crock/dish have are the Manna Pro: Calf Manna pellets. A Cage nearby with regular pellets appear to be clear of earwigs, I may have to stop using Calf Manna or feed it during the day.

Did a little research on them via Wikipedia, appears they are abundant and nocturnal. Not known for transmitting diseases to humans, but one of my buns is not doing well. (might be unrelated)
What's the best way to take care of the earwig problems?

I used diatomacous earth when ifound them in my garden.
They have an exoskeleton that gets shredded when they pass over or through it.
Same fight used against scorpions.

Spray-and-wash cleaners kill them on contact. Leave shallow tin cans (cat food) around with about a 1/2" of vegetable oil in them. Little buggers crawl in a drown. :twisted:

We had a disgusting number of earwigs the first couple of years here. Then we got chickens and started free-ranging them. We still see the odd earwig, but they are no longer a problem, even in the garden which is fenced to keep the chickens out.

MaggieJ":3li5rxpa said:
We had a disgusting number of earwigs the first couple of years here. Then we got chickens and started free-ranging them. We still see the odd earwig, but they are no longer a problem, even in the garden which is fenced to keep the chickens out.

Wow, now that you mention it, I haven't seen an earwig since we started free ranging our hens too.

Wabbitjack":2ol725b6 said:
Tonight I went to check on Gus who started having intestinal problems Friday, I found multiple earwigs in the pellet dish! Not only they are found in one section, a different cage has the same problem!
The only connection the crock/dish have are the Manna Pro: Calf Manna pellets. A Cage nearby with regular pellets appear to be clear of earwigs, I may have to stop using Calf Manna or feed it during the day.

Did a little research on them via Wikipedia, appears they are abundant and nocturnal. Not known for transmitting diseases to humans, but one of my buns is not doing well. (might be unrelated)
What's the best way to take care of the earwig problems?

ducks, and chickens

Thanks for the advice guys! Will have to borrow my cousin's Silke chicken for a few days for sure! :D

Back