EAR MITES!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watersedgerabbitry

Reaction score
Well being very new to the entire rabbitry hooby I purchased 2 does about a month ago and when I got home I noticed a small case of ear mites.....so I called the person I got them from and they directed me to put a small amount of olive oil in each affected ear until the mites were gone. Well I have done that with only little success. Anyone have any suggestion on all natural remedies to take care of this issue before it becomes a bigger problem for me in my entire rabbi try setup. And if I have to resort to a medicine of some sort what do you recomend? Thx so much

I ran short of my ear mite medicine the other day. So, I headed up to the vet's to get a bottle. They wanted $7.49 for about 5cc's!!! Stomped out and headed for the feed and grain store. $7.69 for the same sized bottle!! "That cooks it!" I grouched.

Drove across the street to a fertilizer and farm chemical company. I knew the old fella that owned it. "Hey, Keith! I need about 25or30 cc's of pyrethrum. Got any?"

"Sure, Grump." He measured it out into a small container and handed it to me.

"How much?"

"No charge, Grump. Have a nice day."

I then headed up to a small discount store and bought a large bottle of mineral oil, then headed home.

I had the near empty bottle of ear-mite medicine. The capacity was 118cc's, with 95% inert properties and 5% pyrethrum, per cc, as the mix. I put 6cc's of pyrethrum in the bottle and filled the remainder up with mineral oil. Shook it real hard!! GOT MY EAR-MITE MEDICINE!!! for less than a buck for the bottle. There's more than one way to skin a cat!

Grumpy.

Back