Ear Mite Treatment

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helene190

Reaction score
Hi everybody! :)

One of my rabbits has ear mites (we took him to the vet and he got treatment for it) but the vet mentioned that my other rabbits probably have them too and now that I'm home i've noticed that that seems to be true. Is there anything I can order online or pick up from like petsmart that could treat them? I would take them all to the vet but that would be VERY expensive and if there is something I can get for them that would work but wouldn't need a vet visit I'd prefer to get it.

Thanks so much! :bunnyhop:

Helene190":3hnx54z4 said:
Hi everybody! :)

One of my rabbits has ear mites (we took him to the vet and he got treatment for it) but the vet mentioned that my other rabbits probably have them too and now that I'm home i've noticed that that seems to be true. Is there anything I can order online or pick up from like petsmart that could treat them? I would take them all to the vet but that would be VERY expensive and if there is something I can get for them that would work but wouldn't need a vet visit I'd prefer to get it.

Thanks so much! :bunnyhop:

I've heard you can use any store brand of cat ear mite medication. I'm not totally positive, but it could cost less.

Another thing that you can apparently use on their ears is just cooking oil. We use that when ever our guinea pigs have mites and it works really well :)
I also used it on one of our rabbits when she had fur mites, in acouple of weeks they where all gone.

I use cooking oil and just apply it in the ear with a q-tip. Apply it everyday for a week and it should be good.

I toss a couple drops of ivermectin in there and the only real ear mites I saw were gone by the next time I looked (couple days later).

If I get an ear mite in any of my rabbits, I dose it with vegetable oil or cut-heal, -- and give every adult rabbit in the herd an ivermactin shot,[ .25 cc bovine ivermectin] sub-Q --that is only what I have done [I don't know if it is safe for "all" rabbits --or not-- but-- I have not had any ear mites for years]-- I did learn to isolate and ivermec all new rabbits who come here even if I can't see any mites. --because once I see them ,I have lots of rabbits infected and it is a real "pain".

VetRX brand Rabbit Remedy- you can get it from Amazon, and probably local stores too. Good stuff ans does help with all it claims. Not a cure for snuffles or pneumonia but, it helps affected rabbits breathe better and, it kills ear mites in one dose 99% of the time.

Latest posts

Back